Preview of Turning Pages.

Chapter One

"Noelle," my mother said, causing me to pull my head away from the latest Judy Blume novel I had been captivated by.

"Yes, mom," I said as I quickly glanced up to her then back to my book while petting my English Springer Spaniel, River, who had been resting on me.

"Oh for crying out loud, Noelle Kajol Singh! Put that book down! Aren't you excited for your senior year of secondary school," my mother squealed.

"Of course, I can't wait to experience the world without less drama. It's just unbelievable how four years of your life can come by so fast," I told her, even though I wanted to cringe every time she said my full name to gain my attention. Don't get me wrong, I love my name but she uses it at least once a week whenever I'm deeply involved reading a book.

"I know, sweetheart. Soon it will be graduation and I can't wait to see you in a beautiful dress with your date," mom winked.

"Absolutely not, Noor. My baby girl will not be going out with any man soon," my father exclaimed coming into the living room as he smiled at me.

"Ranveer," my mother giggled.

My father sits beside my mother on the couch, putting his arm around her as he looked at her adoringly. The love for each other is so sweet and pure, I want that type of love.

"Mum, Dad! You guys know I'm going with Grant and Eden. Grant and Eden are my best friends. Grant may be a young man but he's like another brother to me," I explained to them.

My parents laughed at my small speech, causing me to smile.

Eden had been my best friend since pre-school, we became attached by the hip ever since. Eden was gorgeous, with her slim figure, caramel skin tone, long curly brown hair and brown eyes. As children, we bonded over the same cartoons but now that we're older we both have a great love for fashion.

Herself and Grant Jenkins were dating. Grant was my neighbour, who was the same age as me and one of my best friends had been in a relationship since sophomore year.

Grant had a brother who is friends with my brother. We all grew up together as we were neighbours. His brother was Theodore Jenkins, but he prefers to be called 'Theo' for short. The boy I had a crush on ever since freshmen year of high school, but also every girl's dream boy and captain of the football team.

Theo was the opposite of Grant, he had dirty blonde hair, whereas, Grant had light brown hair. Grant was more of the person to stay in rather than party like Theo. They both had electric blue and ivory skin. Theo was the boy I was in love with.

Shortly, I heard the door opening from the jingle of keys which caused River to jump up from where he was sitting on me to run to the door.

The door opened to view my brother who was two years older than me, Oliver or who I call Ollie coming home from his class. Like myself, he had an English first name and a Punjabi middle name. This was because our parents had been teased in their youth over their Indian names and they did not want us to have the similar experience. I called him Ollie ever since I could remember, it was something easier for me to say instead of Oliver while growing up.

I also have a younger sister, Farah who recently turned 12 and following into my footsteps of Vinyl collecting. She was the third and last child my parents had ever hoped for. Farah and I are very close despite our age difference but I guess that's just our sister bond.

"Hey Mum and Dad! What's up, Ellie?" Ollie greeted us as ran his hands through River's soft coat then he proceeded to walk towards us.

Since I called him Ollie, he had called me Ellie. My mom would always giggle at the fact that the nicknames we gave each other were basically the same except the one letter that was different.

"Nothing really, just mum and dad bugging me about the last year of high school," I informed him with a sigh.

Ollie looked over at my parents and laughed, then asked, "Where's Farah?"

"She's at Delilah's house working on their project," Mum responded.

"Oh alright," Ollie said, then began to speak again, "I'm going over to Grant and Theo's place to watch the game," he paused before looking back at me and winked, "Do you want to come?"

Without hesitation, I spoke again "Let's go."