Chapter 25 - Papa O'Conner

Start from the beginning

The look in his eyes told me everything. I understood. I squeeze past him and out the door with the towel hugging Parker into it, "Why is the door locked?" He asks, as I steered him away from the house and to the backyard.

"It's not. Someone just needs their space is all. Now stay out here and have some more fun, birthday boy." I explain bringing him near the bounce house. He didn't think any more about it as he climbed in and started bouncing around with his friends.

I walked over quickly over to the slip 'n slide where Drew, Brody, and Kyle were all hanging around laughing and taken turns falling into the pool, "Hey B, you going to join us?" Drew asked with a laughing smile on his face.

"I think I'm going to nee-"

It was too late. The back door rattled open and Nathan's booming 'no' came after it. Mr. O'Conner stepped out of the house and onto the deck looking around. The noise had us all looking to the back of the house to see what the ruckus had all been about. There were a couple of gasps and mummers, a growl from each of the boys, but other than that no one else paid any attention. Not many people knew what was really going on.

As Mr. O'Conner stepped down from the deck I dared take a look at the boys. Drew and Kyle seemed confused at what was happening. If looks could kill Brody would have murdered his father right on the spot. Kol and Brandon were a little more relaxed but looking annoyed and seriously pissed off as they came out of the pool. Looking around I saw my mom and dad standing next to each other with surprised looks on their faces. They looked over to us, just as surprised as I had.

The party still went on as most of the people didn't think much about the casually dressed man with a gift box under his arm. No one knew the really story about this man, or who the man was. Not until Parker announced it.

"Daddy?" Parker questions sticking his head out of the bounce house. The sound of Parker's voice made all our heads turn to him.

"Parker!" Mr. O'Conner praised throwing his hands in the air happily, "Happy birthday!"

"Daddy!" Parker shouts running out.

"Parker." Brody and I call out as he passes us. He looks up at me with the happiest smile on his face waiting for one of us to let him go. I was about to say 'stay here don't go' but his happiness stopped me from telling him anything.

"What?" He whined bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet.

I was speechless for words, for an explanation, for a reason to tell him 'no don't go.' "Go stand next to Kol." Brody ordered him, shoving him slightly in the other direction.

"B-but why?" He pouts, obeying as he stood in front of Kol.

"Just stay with us for now, 'kay Park." Kol tells him, putting his hands on his brother's shoulders to keep him put.

"But I want to see daddy!" He whines, stomping his foot on the squishy wet grass.

"Later." I hear Brandon whisper as Mr. O'Conner came closer.

He smiled holding his hands in the air stepping towards us, "Wow, all my boys are together! How are you all doing?"

"Get the hell out of here." Brody whispered sinisterly really trying to hold back his anger.

"Well that's no way to talk to your father. What's wrong with you boys? No one teaching you manners while I was gone?"

"Mommy taught me to chew with my mouth closed at the dinner table." Parker chimes in, unknowingly what he really meant. I couldn't help but stifle a small smirk on the corner of my lips.