Chapter 7

The Finals ended in a jiffy and that was a big relief even for the teachers. At the same time, it was the week of D-announcement. I had a strong feeling of the outcome and most of the time, my instincts do not fail me. So when Ms. Dahlia, our Homeroom adviser announced the salutatorian of our batch, I threw a big sigh of relief.

I glanced at Tom and was shocked to see his astounded face. He looked at me quickly. I raised my brows, this time in question. But he seemed to recover himself and became smug in an instant. Everybody clapped thunderously and I joined the applause. He deserved it. Not that I didn't do my best, I did. You win some, you lose some.

The last week of high school was filled with excitement and sadness altogether. Some have to go away to study. Half of the seniors opted local and community colleges, and the others will either work or travel. I was lucky enough my preferred university didn't stay as a dream. Thank you, dear parents, for being able.

Louise, Jam and I got accepted at our school of choice. Louise in Julliard, Jam and I at Stanford. We've been working hard for it and gladly it paid off. It's interesting how our future seems so bright when we've been slacking off sometimes. We have probably been good Samaritans in our past lives. Though Louise had to go away, social media and handy technologies, which always seem to evolve more conveniently, will always be a pocket away. Loneliness is not an option.

Prom came and I brought Don Rogers with me. Yes, Donald Rogers. He is known to be against all social dances and parties so he is a perfect partner. He thinks it is a way of showcasing social inabilities. Reminded of someone? Yes, he was like me. But because of my two friends, I get to enjoy social functions nowadays. If I'm bored or if they focused too much on their date, I'd sit in the corner and start watching people. Creepy to most but I prefer calling it a naturalistic observation. It grants me a front-row seat of the frustrations and triumphs of human interaction, especially in the world of stubborn teens.

Because of my 'notorious' popularity, I was going stag to the Prom. Then that unfortunate day happened with my Associate Editor. The girls cheered up when I told them who was granted an honor at my arm that night. Now, they just have to force me onto a dress or I might end up wearing a suit.

When Don and I arrived, we made quite an entrance. Even the teachers were a bit surprised. A 5'9 feet tall, dark-haired American born Chinese in his black suit known for his hatred in shindigs and a 5'8 feet tall, pixie-haired brunette in a forest green dress, known for misunderstood arrogance, graced the prestigious party. What a pair we are.

Jam outdid herself. The live band, the food, and the venue was a hit. The teachers were enjoying themselves too. As I was glancing around, I saw Tom being pulled by his date to the photo booth. I didn't notice until then that the lanky boy has grown to be a fine man. He caught my glance but we broke it after a second. Puberty has been kind, after all.

Don was trying to be a good date even though he was uncomfortable as hell. After an obligatory dance to Katrina & The Waves "Walking on Sunshine", I tapped his arm and said regally, "You may go, soldier. You've done your job. We took a picture. We had a drink. We've danced. Be free, little one." He looked at me with appreciative eyes but still asked, "Are you sure? I have to drive you back home and.." I narrowed my eyes at him and pointed to the exit door. He almost raced to the door like a cheetah. Revenge, what sweetness.

After ditching their dates, the girls and I went to our favorite arcade and grabbed a meal of burger and fries. We talked about the upcoming Seniors Week in Santa Monica beach. If it'll get a little bit too ebullient for our taste, we'll leave for our own us-time. We'll make sure to enjoy every bit of it as we can since we only have two days and one night to join. Louise will be leaving for New York that following day. Jam and I have to do some college preparation.

Graduation was fun. Tom did not make one of those long boring speeches on self-achievements and overwhelming gratitude to our Alma Mater. I might actually agree that he is kind of cool at that moment. He said thanks to all the teachers who let us pass. He talked about how high school was. Undying love for sports, loud cafeteria sessions, tedious classes, much-awaited cheerleading, passionate locker make-outs, dramatic hallway altercations, unforgettable parties, and the so-called group studies. He received giggles and whistles there. And lastly finding girls in boys comfort room. I was stunned. Everybody laughed. I shot him a sharp look from my seat but he just gave me a friendly smirk. Friendly? Yes, it was like he was sharing a private joke with a friend. I can feel solid stares at my back but I didn't dare take a peek as I know two girls are looking at me mischievously.

When the ceremony and the picture-taking ended, I grabbed my sports bag from the locker. As I was leaving the hall that had witnessed all my quandaries and feats, I ran into somebody. I cursed silently and looked up when I heard my name.

"Dharts? What the?" It was Tom absently messing his hair. "I know we bump heads from time to time but not as literal as this." I raised my brows as usual however for the first time, I did not receive a cold stare neither the indifferent look we got used to but a smile. The edge of his mouth kind of lifted up so I guess it's a smile. I shrugged my shoulders and walked away. Before turning the corner, I looked back and saw him opening his locker. I called out, "Hey, Jacobs". He turned his head and I gave him the same smile he bestowed me. "Congratulations and good luck." And for the first and last time that high school year, my arch-nemesis playfully sneered back.