Chapter 3

"Dharts? What the heck?" Of all the people who would catch me inside the boys' room, why on earth would it have to be Tom? Giving him a warning look, I hurried away before the other guys realize that a girl just infiltrated their privacy. I found the girls in the corner agitated but excited. They both rushed to me and asked how Tom looked when he found me exiting the lavatory.

"Your timing is impeccable. You should have seen him walking along this hallway and could have rung me earlier." They looked at me guiltily. "Jam and I were distracted by Al's text. So, how did it go?" I shook my head helplessly. I would also be distracted if Al texted because he rarely did. He was Jam's new conquest. "So how did Tom looked?" Jam asked playfully. "He was initially shocked, then cold- obviously. And there's something else. I couldn't point it out."

"Was he concerned perhaps?" Lou asked. Jam and I laughed. "Huh, no way," I smirked at the thought. "I've got it bad, girls. And yes he was more than surprised. But that ...that was fun. Let's do it again."

The freshman girl who handed me the hall pass poked me awake from that memory as we arrived by the principal's door. This brought me to sheer nervousness so without thinking I turned back. But before I can take another step, I heard the principal's voice by the door. The Jacobs timing is always to the tee.

"Ms. Dharts? What took you so long?" I turned around, smiled at her a little and went inside with slumped back. I glanced around and saw four seniors, all known to be the smartest of the school sitting on the office chairs. Ned and Sophie, the 3rd year twins who adore anything with numbers were on the ottoman, smiled bashfully at me. Tom, clearly annoyed, sitting alone on the famous soft couch, like a king at the throne. Our eyes met but our indifference won over. So, I guess it's not that lavatory debacle. I sat down at the edge of the same sofa since that is the only empty seat.

Principal Jacobs silenced us all and began one of the most surprising speeches I've ever heard in my teenage life.

"Okay, everyone. This December, the school needs all of your participation in one of the most challenging scholastic decathlons in the city. I hope you'll do your best since you were chosen through the test that was given to you last week. The faculty decided to give it discreetly to the upperclassmen and the results showed that you are all worthy to join, fair and square." She looked at all of us as a proud hen. I was sulking back at her instead. I wished it was the lavatory debacle.

"Please go to the Chemistry Room later at 3:30 in the afternoon so that Mrs. Foster can tell you how this works. This is a team effort so I expect an outstanding behavior fitted of your reputation. I look forward to everyone's participation. Are there any questions?"

The room was filled with excited chatter and I was not among them. So that 30-item quiz last week was the evaluation. I should not have answered it seriously. I don't want to be a part of this ego-filled contest.

I glanced at the happy group and when Tom and my eyes met, the realization of working together caught us stricken. Work as a team? Oh no. As I was planning to ask Principal Jacobs, to withdraw from the competition, Tom raised his hand first and asked his mother.

"Principal J, I formally withdraw from this competition due to a full year ahead. I'm sorry." Well, I didn't particularly like that he would want out because it's me who wants out. He just raced me to it. There, I realized that the room is utterly quiet. A few would only dare question the principal.

"I don't think this could distract you in any way, Mr. Jacobs. Your tennis game would be in February next year and your Chemistry Thesis Competition in April. You have nothing important until then." She said it in a matter-of-fact that silenced her son, who on the other hand was trying to control the forming temper in his eyes. She looked at him with a smug face and turned to us.

"This would look good in your college applications and I know for a fact that the schools you're all trying to get in are considered elite universities. Winning this, in particular, will add some points. So if you have no more questions you may all go now. You have classes to attend and I've got reports to finish. Congratulations and good luck."

The twins said their thanks to Principal Jacobs and rushed outside talking about the books they have to read. The seniors were happy with the thought of college and left for their class as well. Tom walked away with a scowl. I dawdled until everyone has left the office. I have never really talked to the principal other than the usual morning or afternoon greeting. I approached her as she pulled out papers from her desk.

"Excuse me, Principal Jacobs. I don't think I could join in this competition. I'm not prepared for such a big thing but I know those who are more than qualified. William Williams who could solve any equations. Angel Lori who knows every science book by heart. Even Jam, she's smarter than Mr. Levi, sometimes. Will you please consider one of them?"

Principal Jacobs folded her hands and looked at me with the utmost curiosity. "Well Ms. Dharts, all three students you have mentioned actually belonged to the Top 10. But we only needed seven, and sadly, they didn't cut in. I'd give you a chance to decide until 3 in the afternoon today. But you have to convince me because this school does not settle for less. And a little secret, you are actually the third on the list. So be proud and I think a little competition within your team is good. Don't you agree?" She added with a wink.