Chapter 1: The Reaping

After the televised event, I went to Rue's house.

Rue's house was in the Victor's Village, since her parents are victors themselves. The Reaping is tomorrow.

I get to Rue's house where bread is waiting for me. Peeta still bakes all the time, even though he doesn't work at the Bakery anymore. There is no lack of treats in the Mellark household. 

"How are you, Willow?" Peeta asked me, handing me a piece of bread.

"Good." I replied, taking a bite of the bread. Katniss looked tormented.

"How could you be good when you just heard about the Quarter Quell?" Katniss asked. ''The Hunger Games are hard enough in two weeks. I can't imagine being in it for three years."

"Chances are that no one is going to be in the game the whole three years, Mom." Gale said. "Whoever get's reaped first is a goner."

Rue looked like she was about to start crying. The Reaping is always hardest for the Mellarks. Katniss and Peeta fear their kids being a part of the games more than anything. Rue and Gale have heard the terrible stories. They've seen the tapes. All of us have. But it hits much closer to home and they both look so afraid when they watch the tapes, as if the past is suddenly going to change and they're about to see there parents die. 

I sat down at the table, suddenly having a terrible headache. Haymitch had just left to go do something. Probably find some cheap alcohol. The room had fallen into silence until Finnick Odair walked in.

Finnick would visit often. Especially if it was close to the Reaping, since he's good friends with Katniss and Peeta and this is a hard time for them. There's other past victors from District 4 that can be there. 

"Why so quiet?" Finnick asked. Because of my headache, it seemed like he was screaming. I winced and closed my eyes, debating going back home. My stomach was starting to hurt, too. "Willow?"

I looked up at Finnick. His usually happy and energetic demeanor had changed to a look of concern. "Are you okay?"

"I feel kinda sick." I replied.

"Do you want me to go find Prim?" Katniss asked. "She's at the Hob."

"No, that's okay. I think I'm just going to go home. Tell Annie I said hi." I said to Finnick. He simply nodded, still seeming concerned. They all looked concerned, but they knew better than to try to help me. I'm a very independent person who likes to do everything on their own.

When I got home, my mom wasn't there anymore. She probably went to the Hob. She sells blankets that she makes. I hunt for the meat with throwing knives, she uses that meat for yarn, then sells the blanket. It's an effective cycle.

I was almost asleep when there was a knock on my door. I got up, for a second the world span around me, then went and got the door. 

"Luke?" I asked, seeing my boyfriend at the door. He usually doesn't come to my house. 

"You didn't show up at the Meadow. I was worried." Luke replied.

 I put my hand to my forehead. "I'm sorry. I totally forgot. I don't feel good." 

Luke frowned and grabbed my hand, pulling me back to my room. We both sat on my bed, his arm around my shoulders and my head on his. 

"I have something for you." Luke said, reaching into his pocket. Out he took a diamond ring. The diamond was huge. On either side of the diamond were aquamarine stones. This is a ring that you can't get from District 12. 

"This is a District 1 ring, isn't it? How much did that cost you?" I asked. 

"Don't worry about it. It was worth it. I got the aquamarine from Finnick and Annie." He replied.