Chapter 21: Coma

"What if we gave her too much?" A familiar voice called out. I recognized the voice as Tetrick. Where am I?

"We didn't give her too much. Don't worry," Another voice said. Gale, I think. 

"She hasn't woken up! How long has she been off the medication now? It's been almost two full days! Why isn't she waking up?" Tetrick yelled. 

"She will wake up! The medication isn't going to put her into a permanent sleep. Those Capitol doctors know what their doing. They saved her life, didn't they?" Titus replied. 

What's going on? The last thing I remember is sitting by that chasm, a knife in my side. Someone was running towards me. I couldn't tell who it was. How long has passed since then? Tetrick said that I've been off the medication for two days. Meaning I've been sleeping for at least that long. What medication were they giving me? 

Finally, I opened my eyes. I was looking at a wood ceiling. It looked like the ceiling of the tree house. I ran my hands along the ground, feeling more wood. Didn't Reid destroy the tree house? I thought that he had. Yet, as I looked around, I knew that this must be the tree house. Did they rebuild it? Man, that was fast. 

"Willow?" Titus called out. He was sitting closest to me. I looked over at him. He had a scar on his face that hadn't been there before. I frowned. How did that happen? How did it heal so quickly?

"Willow? You're awake!" Tetrick yelled. He ran over to me and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer to him. I wrapped my arms around him too, although I didn't fully understand why he was so happy. He's acting as if I just rose from the dead. 

"That was one gnarly wound you had there, Willow," Gale said to me.

I let go of Tetrick. He had tears in his eyes. "Yeah, the wound..." I lifted up my shirt and looked at where the knife had been stabbed. Nothing but a white scar remains. That healed very quickly. Then, as I continued to stare, my mind registered the location of the wound. A stab wound in the side could hit my uterus, which would hurt my baby. 

"Is she alive?" I asked in a panicked voice, putting both of my hands on my baby bump. What if she died? What if I'm just carrying a dead baby in my stomach? Tears rushed to my eyes just thinking about it. I would never be able to forgive myself for that. Even if I wasn't the one who caused the wound, I was the one carrying her. It was my job to protect her. If I failed, I don't know how I could live on.

"Yes, she's alive," Gale reassured. "Your bump is bigger now than it was."

I looked at my bump. It was bigger. Significantly, actually. I frowned. That's a lot bigger than I remember. 

"Somebody tell me what happened," I said. 

"Well, Reid stabbed you in the side, which I believe you remember. The knife burrowed pretty good into your stomach. Both you and the baby are pretty lucky. The doctors told us that the knife skimmed the uterus, but the damage won't effect you or the baby," Tetrick replied. 

"Doctors?" I asked. 

Gale nodded. "Doctors. The most expensive sponsor gift in the history of the Games, no doubt. Sponsors paid for a team of five doctors, plus equipment. Two of those doctors stayed a few nights with us, just to make sure that you were really alright. Tetrick had already pulled the knife out. The doctors sewed you up and wrapped bandages around. Then they gave you all sort of medicine. One medicine they gave you was to flush your body out, I think. To prevent infection. The second medication put you into a medical induced coma."

"A coma?" I asked. 

Gale nodded again and continued to talk. "They took some ultrasounds after that, to check the condition of the baby. They told us that the baby was still alive and was looking very healthy. We were so relieved..." Gale smiled. "It was a pretty happy moment for all of us."