Chapter 9: Let The Games Begin

Sleep eluded me. There was too much stuff to think about. Tomorrow morning, I would be fighting for my life. It's hard to go to sleep when there's that to think about. Plus, Luke was mad at me after the Interviews. I had to go right back to the district 12 suite so I didn't have any time to talk to him. What could've possibly made him so angry? During our time together, I had never really seen him angry. He's not the type to get angry. He's so gentle and nice. He would never hurt anyone. We had never had a fight. So to see him angry like this was a new thing to me. I was unsure of how to react and I didn't know what to think of it. I wish that I could go and try to find him, but I don't think I'm allowed to leave the suites. Plus, I have no idea where he is or where he is staying. And I wouldn't even know what to say to him.

I stared at my lap, tears starting to rush down my face. I felt so lost. I'm going to into the Games, where I will be there for three years or die. The love of my life is pissed off at me and I don't know why. I'm pregnant and people will be trying to kill me while I'm in the Games. I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm not sure how I'm going to make it through this. I've been able to put my mind off of it since I learned about the pregnancy, but I'm not going to be able to ignore these problems anymore.

There was a gentle knock on the door and a low whisper. "Willow?"

It was Talon. "Yeah?" I whispered in response.

The door opened and in stepped Talon, who didn't seem to have gotten any sleep either. He still had some of the light make up on from the interviews.

"I can't sleep," Talon said, stepping inside and closing the door behind him.

"Neither could I. I don't know how anyone could," I replied, scooting over in my bed so that he could sit next to me.

"I want to talk to you," Talon said. I could hear the nervous tone in his voice.

"What's up?" I asked, trying to be casual. But in reality, I was nervous about what he had to say.

"I'm really sorry about that kiss. And my love confession. I know how unfair that was to you. You have a fiance and a kid on the way. It's not my place to be going after you. I should've left it alone." 

"It's fine, Talon," I replied.

"The thing is... I think Luke knows."

"What?" I gasped, turning to look at him. How could Luke possibly know?

"I saw him. Right before the Interviews. I'm not sure how he did it, but he came into my make up room. Portia wasn't there at the time. He was very... threatening. He told me to never lay another hand on you and that I better never kiss you again or he'll do terrible things."

"Terrible things? What do you mean? What did he say?"

"He didn't specify what he meant," Talon replied. "He just said, "I will do terrible things to you.'"

I stared at Talon, trying to wrap my head around what he was saying. Why would Luke say something like that? He had never been threatening. He felt guilty killing animals for food! He could never hurt anyone. He would never hurt Talon like that.

"I don't know how Luke found out about that kiss... But he would never hurt you." 

Talon was crying now. Small little water droplets traveled down his face. I scooted closer to him and put my hand on his cheek, trying to make eye contact with him. "What's wrong, Talon?"

"My mom died..." Talon whispered.

"Yes, I know," I replied, confused.

"She died the night I kissed you. I figured out the next morning." 

"What's your point?" 

"That doesn't seem like much of a coincidence. And Luke is in the Capitol. I mean...he could've seen something and he could've taken action."