Chapter 20: The Knife

The next week was pretty fun. The five of us got the whole arena to ourselves, just like last time. Except for this time, we didn't have a tree house to build. So we pretty much just ran around the arena acting like complete hooligans. 

However, memories were still biting at the back of my brain. I'm grieving over Rhymer, although I didn't really know her. I keep grabbing at the necklace around my neck to make sure it's still there. Also, I'm thinking about Luke. It had been two weeks since his visit to the arena. He hadn't come back since then, although I haven't stopped thinking about it. Luke has ultimate power. He can do whatever he wants. The only person he doesn't have power over is President Snow himself, and he's not getting any younger. One day, President Snow won't be around anymore and Luke will be waiting to take his place.

When the week had passed, 24 new Tributes entered the arena. Soon after, a parachute came down right next to the tree house with our names on it. We opened up the canister and inside was a folded up piece of paper. When opened, I saw that it was a sheet of paper with all the Tributes' faces and district number. Also, it told you what score they received. For a moment, I wasn't sure why we were sent this paper. Then I noticed the male tribute from District 8 was circled. His name is Reid. He had blond hair, a thick jaw line and black eyes. Even from his head shot, I can tell that he's very intimidating. He had a score of 12, which is the highest you can get. I got an 11 and Talon got a 12. Underneath his picture, the words He's dangerous were written. It was signed with a K for Katniss. 

"We haven't had a problem with any other Tributes before," Titus said. "I'm sure he won't be a problem."

I shook my head. "Katniss has also never sent us the Tribute score sheet before. Something about him is dangerous. More dangerous than the other Tributes we've faced."

"Then we'll have to keep an eye out for him," Tetrick suggested.

We definitely should've been paying more attention. A week after the new Tributes arrived, we were all sitting in our tree house. None of us were sitting in front of the window, which turned out to be a good thing. Reid had found us. He threw a knife straight into the open window, sticking it into the ground of the tree house. I flinched, surprised by the sudden knife in the room. I looked out the window and recognized Reid, who was running away. We had no time to hit him.

The next week, the situation was much different. This time, I was the only one who was in the tree house. Tetrick was staying behind and guarding the tree house from the outside. The other three boys had gone out to hunt. My back was aching exceptionally bad that day, so I stayed in the tree house all day long. Up until Reid came back, that is. 

He came from the back side of the tree house, where the beach is. Tetrick was on the front side, looking out to the forest. Neither of us heard him approaching. I had no idea he was there until I heard the small laugh. I sat still for a minute, waiting to hear another noise. After a minute, I didn't hear another noise. However, just moments later, I could smell the smoke. 

I got out of the tree house as fast as I could and saw that the tree house had been lit on fire. Tetrick was just noticing. In the distance, I could see Reid running away. The fire grew quickly; it was too late for us to put it out. So Tetrick and I grabbed our bags and ran, letting the tree house burn to ashes behind us.

When we found Titus, Gale and Talon, we explained the story to them and then we all started to travel. We went past the chasm, to the rain forest section of the arena. This is our second home, where we camp if we can't get back to the tree house by nightfall. 

We spent the next two weeks camped out at the rain forest spot. Tetrick and I slept in our usual tree, while everyone else slept in different trees. I didn't get much sleep for those two weeks. Even with Tetrick's arms around me, I couldn't will my mind to slow down enough. My hands and feet are swelling. Then, one fateful night, exactly two weeks after the tree house burned, I felt the kick.