[13]

---

---

Scarlett was walking with Joy and Patricia after class. 

"Did you get it?" Joy asked.

Patricia pulled a box out of her bag.

"Just arrived this morning," Patricia answered. She then read the French on the box, badly. 

"All those words say chocolate-covered worms?" Joy questioned.

"It's like escargot. If they called them snails, no one would order them," Patricia reasoned. 

"What if he can read French?" Scarlett voiced. 

"This is Eddie, he's thick," Patricia replied. 

They entered the classroom. 

"There he is," Joy stated. 

Patricia dragged Scarlett with her. Sighing, Scarlett let her lead her towards Eddie. Patricia shoved the chocolates into her hands and pushed her towards Eddie. 

"Oh, look, it's the milkmaid," Eddie commented.

"Look, I wanted to say sorry. It was maybe an overreaction," Scarlett told. 

"No," he retorted, sarcasm consuming the one word. 

"Would you let me apologize? Why do you have to make things so hard all the time?" She complained. 

"Am I the first guy to keep you on your toes?" Scarlett sighed. "I am, aren't I?"

"I'm going to ignore the fact that you're being a complete dick again and just give you this. It's a truce of sorts. It's just chocolate, but it's fancy chocolate. I think. I speak Spanish not French."

"Wow, you were almost like a real girl just now," he quipped. 

"Thanks. I'm sorry about the whole bet thing. You know I was gonna ask you anyway," he apologised. 

"Sure," she muttered. She walked away. 

"So, did the fishy take the bait?" Joy asked. 

Scarlett nodded, even though she felt extremely guilty. 

---

Scarlett was sat on the arm of one of the sofas in the student lounge as Fabian attempted to come up with a solution to their bridge problem. Patricia, Nina and Amber were next to her with Alfie on the other armchair. 

"Okay, okay, okay, I think I've worked it out. We rig a counterweighted boom system that lifts up the beam and sets it in place. So, we simply lift it, swing it, And set it down," he explained, showing it with his pens. 

The other five looked at him with blank looks. 

"What?"

"Why don't we just lift the beam on its end and drop it down in the chasm, like that?" Amber asked, demonstrating with Fabian's pen.