Chapter 20

"Oh no," I whisper. "Not now Joseph not now." I sit in the floor in what little light we have. "Ahh!" I scream as a contraction hits. "Mommy, are you okay?" Alice asks me. "Sweetie no matter what happens to me or to Joseph or you I will always love you okay?" I tell her. "Okay mommy," she tells me. "Mommy what's wrong?" She asks me. "Alice mommy is having baby Joseph okay? I need you to ahhhh!" I scream mid sentence. The contraction goes away and I'm able to finish. "I need you to go to the door where Carter gives us food. Stay there. And when it opens I want you to run, run and find daddy," I explain. She nods and she walks over to the door. I sit in pain on the floor. I hear noises outside the room. Getting closer. Joseph is coming faster than I thought he would. I can no longer sit. I lie down and rub my belly. "Ahhhh shit!" I scream. I can feel him coming. Pain radiates through me. Having Alice was so easy. I had pain killers then. Now I have nothing. I see the door open out of the corner of my eye. Alice runs like I told her. "Daddy!" She screams. "Daddy mommy needs help!" She screams. Then I barely see Josh walk in the room. He sees me and runs to me. "Heather Grace I'm here," he tells me. "Josh, Joseph is coming," I tell him. "An ambulance is on the way baby just hold on," he tells me. "Josh I can't," I tell him. "He's coming. I can feel it," I tell him and whine and whimper as pain shoots through me again. "Josh he needs to come out," I tell him. "Baby I don't know what to do," I stop him. "Just grab him gently. I'll push. Please he's gonna suffocate," I beg him. "Okay," he nods. "Okay, we can do this. Heather Grace just push," he tells me. I nod. Before I know it the room starts to spin. I hear a soft babies cry. One that means a new life. "We did it Heather Grace. He's precious," Josh tells me. "He looks like you," I say weakly. My eyes flutter and then shut. Darkness takes me and then....peace.