Chapter 14

6 years later. We still haven't found Alice. She's on my mind constantly. Today is her birthday. She'll be six. I've missed her first words. First steps. I've missed six years of her life.

I no longer live in my falling apart apartment. I live with my husband in a huge house three miles from there. I married Josh. Although I've made the choice to get married I have not forgotten Alice. Every year since she was taken I cry on her birthday and the day she was taken from me. Josh comforts me every day. Melanie comes over often to check on me and my mental state.

I'm glad I have them. They mean the world to me. As does Alice. If she's still alive. The police think she's not. I still have hope that she is.

I'm pregnant with mine and Josh's first child. A boy. We're naming him Joseph.

"Hey, Heather Grace," Josh says as he opens the door.

"What?" I ask him.

"The police just called," he says. I sit up and look at him.

"Alice?"

"They found her," he smiles.

I get up and get dressed quickly. We race to the police station and walk inside.

A police officer meets us at the door. "I need you to come with me first," he tells us. We nod and follow him to a room. We look through glass to see a man sitting in a chair handcuffed to the table. "Is this Alice's father?"

"Yes," I say painfully.

"He had her hidden in a county about an hour from here. Alice has been to school and is very smart. We showed her a picture of you Heather and she instantly recognized you." I start to cry.

"Can we see her?" I ask.

"Of course, we just needed you to identify him. Before we show you Alice understand she has been beaten." I want to cry even harder.

He leads us out of the room into a hallway. Orange walls with various doors. One of which leading into a room with Alice. I get more and more anxious as we walk. Josh holding my hand as we walk.

The officer stops us at a door at the end of the hall. "You ready?" He asks.

"Yes, please," I say. He opens the door and I start to cry.

"Mommy," she says and runs to me.

"Oh my baby girl," I sob. "I thought I would never see you again."

"It's okay mommy I'm okay," she tells me. "Is he my daddy?" She asks me.

"Who?"

"Behind you," she says and points to Josh.

"He is, not your real father but he is your dad," I tell her.

"Is he gonna hit me?" She asks in a whisper.

"No sweetie," I tell her.

"Mommy is that my baby brother?" She asks and points to my belly.

"Yes, it is," I smile.

"What's his name?"

"Joseph," I tell her.

"I like Joseph mommy," she says with a smile.

I hug her again and she hugs me back. My little girl, so grown up and so smart. "Let's go home," I say. Josh picks her up and she hugs Josh.

"Thank you officer for finding our daughter," Josh says.

"It's not a problem," he smiles. "Have a safe drive home."

We nod and Josh drives us home. "Mommy the nice police officer said you have a ginormous house for me to live in," Alice says.

"You do, daddy is an actor," I tell her.

"Someday I wanna be a doctor like mrs. Melanie," she says.

"When did you meet mrs. Melanie?"

"When I got to the police station," she replies. "She said I'm okay."

Melanie knew she was found. When we get home Melanie is in our drive way.

"You knew and didn't tell me," I say and hug her.

"I wanted it to be a surprise," she says.

"Oh mommy officer Derek said today is my birthday. I'm six!" She exclaims.

"You are," I smile at her. "Let's celebrate." Alice laughs. The same laugh as me. She has my eyes. My hair and looks exactly like me. Nothing like Carter.

We all walk inside and celebrate Alice's birthday and her finally coming home. But little did I know it will only get worse.