Chapter 6

I wake up in the nurses office. My head hurts and Alice is kicking like crazy. "Everything is okay with her Josh. She'll be fine. Just a bruise on her head," I hear nurse Betsy tell Josh. "Go on to class I'll tend to her." I hear Josh say something back and the nurse sighs. "Just go to class Josh." I see his shadow walk off and I close my eyes again. The nurse taps my shoulder. "Heather Grace," she whispers.

"I'm okay, my head just hurts," I tell her.

"I'm gonna send you home okay? I spoke to your teachers and they all said you aren't doing anything in class anyway. And you're exempt from your finals. Do you need a ride home?"

"Uh, I can walk I'll be fine," I tell her. I sit up and my head spins.

"Heather Grace, you're in no shape to walk home. Is there someone who can take you home?"

"I can," I hear Josh say.

"Mr. Hutcherson, you need to get to class," nurse Betsy tells him.

"My classes are the same as hers. And I'm exempt too, let me take her home," he explains.

"Fine, take her straight home. I expect to see both of you Saturday at graduation," she says and writes us slips to leave.

Josh helps me to his car and soon heads to my apartment. "So, hearing that made you pass out?" Josh asks me.

"Can we not talk about it?" I ask him. "My head is killing me and I want to lie down."

"Okay fine," he says. Josh parks his car and helps me out. "Let me help you," he says. I just nod. My head hurts to much for me to protest.

Josh helps me in my apartment and helps put me in my bed. "Thanks," I tell him.

"It's no problem. Do you want anything for your head?" He asks me.

"Aspirin, it's in the medicine cabinet in my bathroom. And some water," I tell him. He nods and gets it for me. "Thank you."

"No problem," he replies. He sits on my bed and moves the hair out of my face. "That's quite a bruise there," he grins a little.

"Yeah well," I reply.

"I noticed Alice's crib is finally put together. So is her changing table. You did all that work yourself?"

"Yeah, took me all day Sunday," I explain.

"I could have helped you," he says.

"Josh I don't want to talk about this now."

"Okay, just go to sleep," he whispers. And with that I fall asleep.

It's graduation day. I haven't spoken to Josh all week. I've sat at home or gone to work. It's difficult to walk being seven months pregnant, but I make it work. I arrive at the school early that morning just like everyone else. We line up and get ready for graduation. One by one we take our seats. Then one by one we get our diplomas. "Heather Grace Stetson," I hear my name. I walk across the stage and get my diploma and ignore the snickers and laughs and stares from everyone. I walk off stage and sit down. Carter three seats to my life smirks evilly at me. I don't look at him. Once the ceremony is over I begin the walk back to my apartment. Once I get there I see someone standing outside my apartment. Carter.