Epilogue

A loud crash from the living room caused the knife I was holding to drop in shock and from the look on Jane’s face, she was scared too.

“Jamie Nichole Anderson what have you done this time!?” I shouted at my five-year old daughter as I ran outside to see her in front of the broken pieces of what used to be our flower vase.

“I’m sowwy mommy. I didn’t see it there.”

“Baby why are you so active? This is the fourth thing you’re breaking in the space of one week.” I said with a frustrated sigh.

“I’m sowwy mommy. I won’t do it again I pwomise.” She said with her lips quivering, a sign that she was about to cry.

I looked into her eyes and let out a defeated sigh.

Those goddamn blue eyes that she inherited from her father.

“It’s okay baby. Don’t cry. Just go upstairs and get dressed before everyone gets here.”

“Are you still mad mommy?” She asked softly.

“No baby I’m not mad.”

“Pwomise?” She asked stretching out her pinky towards me.

“I promise.” I said with a small smile and hooked my pinky with hers.

“Okay! I'll go get weady.” She said excitedly and ran up the stairs.

The sound of the door opening caused her to stop and turn as she ran back down.

“Daddy!” She screamed excitedly as she jumped into his arms.

“How’s my princess doing?” He asked as he placed a kiss on her cheek.

“Fine.” She gushed as he gently placed her on the floor before walking towards me.

He suddenly stopped when he noticed the mess on the floor.

“Mimi what have you done this time?” He asked and we turned to look at her to see that she wasn’t there anymore.

“Mommy said I should get weady!” She called behind her as she ran up the stairs.

I let out a laugh and moved to sit down because my back was starting to hurt.

“Hey babe.” He greeted as he placed a kiss on my lips.

“Hi honey, how was work?” I asked with a small smile.

“Great. Why do you look so stressed?”

“Because your daughter raised my blood pressure a little when she broke the vase. I had to run from the kitchen hoping she didn’t hurt herself.”

“What were you doing in the kitchen?”

“I was helping Jane with the food.”

“Babe, you know you’re not supposed to be doing that.” He said with a frown.

“I had to help her. I didn’t like sitting around doing nothing. I was feeling useless.”

“We could always hire a maid.” He suggested.

“No Jason! We’ve had this conversation several times and I don't want a stranger in my house taking care of my kids!” I said getting angry.

“I’m sorry. You know I’m just worried about you. You know you can't handle everything alone and Jane will soon leave so it'll be you alone and the kids. Mimi is already a handful and you know it.”

“I know. I’m sorry for raising my voice,” I said calming down a little, “maybe we can get a housekeeper to deal with the house chores at least to get the work off me a little but that will be after the twins arrive. Nothing is going to go wrong this time.” I assured him with a small smile.