Chapter 13

I woke up to the sound of the water hitting the shore which was a refreshing sound to hear so early in the morning and I could get used to it but I wasn't feeling refreshed at all and I could feel that my eyes were swollen due to the fact that they couldn't fully open even as I tried.

I got out of the bed and walked to the bathroom and the sight I saw shocked me. My eyes were swollen and puffy and my nose blotched and I knew I was gonna have to do something about it because I didn't want Jason seeing me like this but I didn't know what to do.

I had a quick shower which seemed to relieve my swollen eyes but they were still pretty obvious so I decided I was going to avoid Jason today until my eyes went back to how they looked normally.

I put on a pair of faded jeans and my black camisole and sat down thinking of what to do.

I didn't exactly know what people do the day after their wedding when they're not on their honeymoon and again I doubted the fact that people ever did that.

Great! My life sucked.

My stomach suddenly rumbled signaling me that I was hungry so I decided to find something to eat downstairs since it was fully stocked when I checked it last night.

The house looked more beautiful with the sun shining through the floor to ceiling windows and I could find myself getting comfortable in this place.

I was still studying the house when I heard a sound coming from the kitchen and I froze in my tracks.

The thought of meeting Jason with my swollen eyes made my heart race a mile per minute. I finally decided to suck it up and walk into the kitchen but I got a shock when I entered.

There was a blonde lady in the kitchen wearing a blue sundress and white sandals but she wasn't seating, she was working and for a minute she didn't notice my presence until I cleared my throat which made her shake in fear.

"Oh–good morning ma'am." She said with a nervous smile.

"Good morning." I said giving her a genuine smile so she would get comfortable around me although I couldn't help the confused look on my face which she seemed to notice immediately.

"Um–I'm Jane. I'm Helen's daughter and I help Mr Anderson with housekeeping and sometimes I help him cook." She offered with a timid smile.

"How old are you Jane?"

"Twenty."

"Don't you go to school or something?"

"I do but Mr Anderson pays for my tuition and all so I come here as often as I can to help out. It's the least I could do after all his help."

"That's very nice. So what do you major in?" I asked sitting on the kitchen island.

"Culinary arts ma'am."

"Oh please Jane, Kayla's just fine. I don't want to feel older than I already am." I said smiling at her which made her giggle a little.

"I'll try but I can't promise you ma—Kayla."

"Fair enough. Tell you what, since I'm here now, you don't have to come as often as you do although I can't promise I won't be calling you each time I feel like eating your food that is if you're a great cook but all the same, I'd like you to focus more on your studies and less on this big house. I think I can manage it." I said with a wink.

"I'll try but I don't think I can stay away from this place for a long time anyway."

"We'll work around that." We settled in a comfortable silence and she went back to cleaning God knows what because the house was already clean.