Chapter 14

JASON’S POV

She wasn’t home.

I got back from France two days earlier than I was supposed to just to greeted by an empty house. My first thought was that she left so I quickly went to her room but I let out a sigh of relief when I saw her clothes were still there.

I walked out of the room but I couldn’t miss the neatness of the room and how arranged everything was. She wasn’t a perfectionist but she was perfect.

To me at least.

Yes! I liked Hazel.

She was beautiful, smart, funny, talented and not to mention the first girl to ever insult me to my face excluding my sister of course but it was dangerous. Her liking me would be a bad thing because I lost the last person I loved.

I knew I had been an asshole from the first day we met but the truth was that it was so hard.

I knew she was beautiful but seeing her face-to-face just made it more real and it was like she didn’t even know she was as beautiful as she was.

She deserved much more than an asshole like me but she was stuck with me because of business.

I was quickly reminded by my inner self that that was a lie but I quickly shoved it away.

I suddenly became worried that she wasn’t at home and when I asked the security man, he said she left with Cami and since I didn’t have Cami’s number, I decided to call Brandon.

“Jay-Jay!” He screamed once he picked up my phone and like he knew I was scowling at him, he let out a loud laugh.

“We need to review the level of your maturity.” I said rolling my eyes.

“Come on now, we all know how mature I am.”

“Yeah right.”

“Now why are you calling me?” He asked and I suspected he had a girl over hence the rush as I could hear a soft voice beside him.

“Have you heard from Hazel?”

“Who’s Hazel?” He asked in a confused tone and I suddenly remembered that I was the only one who called her that.

“My wife you dimwit.” I said in a snappy tone but the word felt right.

“Oh! You mean Kaybear.” He said and I rolled my eyes at the nickname he gave her.

“I haven’t spoken to her since your wedding and her phone has been switched off since then.” He paused then continued, “you would know this of you actually tried calling her for the past week which brings me to the question, Why the hell would you leave your wife and travel to France!?” He asked raising his voice at the last sentence.

“I had a business meeting.” I said in a low tone.

“That couldn’t be moved or shifted.”

“No it couldn’t.”

“See that’s where you’re wrong buddy. You’re married now, you have a family with a wife and very soon you’ll have kids. There are priorities that need to be set straight and that includes making time for your wife. No woman deserves to be left the day after her wedding and especially Kayla because we know how amazing she is. Coming from you buddy,that’s low.”

Hearing those words from my best friend made me realize how stupid I was leaving Hazel at home and as important as the job was, she didn’t deserve being left at home.

“I don't know man! I’m just scared.”

“Scared of what? The Jason I know is never afraid. Look man, she cares about you and she just needs to know that you care too. You were both forced into this so stop making it seem like she was pushed on you. God knows she made more sacrifices than you did.”