Chapter 1

Amy Pov
Moving to a new school is never easy, especially when it's more than halfway across the country. My parents, both in the medical field, had been transferred from our city in Vermont all the way out to Arizona. Honestly, I didn't really care other than the heat. I went through the motions of my life and basically raised myself because my parents were always working.

I was daydreaming after school one Friday, sitting on the step outside the school as kids filtered past me to the buses and parent's cars. I had my own ride, but I didn't really want to leave yet. Almost last out were two boys, a kid about twelve that was wearing glasses and sported a spiky haircut and a teen with dark hair who I thought was about sixteen like me. I thought I had caught their names before, I was learning about people here quickly, though I wasn't much of a social person. My parents had cured me of that; they had signed me up for almost every extracurricular activity when we lived back in Vermont when I was younger so that they didn't have to take a break from their work life.

"Hey Jack, do you wanna go hang out tonight?" the smaller boy said, looking up at Jack.

"Sorry Raf, gotta work tonight. Maybe this weekend though, I'm off then." Jack said to Raf. Raf shrugged, waving goodbye as Jack got on a motorcycle that was parked along the sidewalk; actually, it looked a lot like mine, but a different color. Jack waved back, putting on a helmet that had been hanging off the handlebar before driving away. Soon after Jack left, a black and yellow muscle car pulled up and beeped its horn. Raf shouldered his backpack, glancing back at me.

"Hey, you're the new girl, right? I'm Raf." he said, giving the waiting car a 'one minute' gesture.

"Yeah, my name is Amy" I said. Raf glanced at the car again, then back at me.

"I've gotta go, do you have a ride?" he asked. I nodded, pointing to my speed motorcycle parked in the lot. I had been able to pick my own car for my sweet 16, but I thought cars were too claustrophobic, I chose a bike instead. It was jet black, and a neon green stripe ran down the left side of it. It had become my best friend, since I didn't have any friends of my own.

"Okay then, I guess I'll see you next Monday. Bye." Raf said, jogging to the car and hopping in. The car sped off, the engine making an impressive roar, and I smiled to myself. Raf was likeable, especially since he was a kid, but I'd seen him in his spare time on a laptop. I think that kid could hack into anything if he had to. I sat on the step for a while, not really wanting to go home and be bored by myself. There were still a few cars in the lot, and a big green truck was parked by the curb.

A few minutes later, a girl who looked about fourteen crept out of the door, looking cautiously behind her. Her side swept bangs were dyed pink and she had her hair put up in what looked like spiky pom-poms on each side of her head. The tips of these were pink as well and the rest of her hair was held in a sort of reverse ponytail with the fastener at the end of her hair instead of at the top. She turned to run down the steps, not seeing me, and tripped over my backpack I had at the top of the stairs. I turned, breaking her fall, and she got up quickly and dusted herself off.

"Sorry about that, your name is Miko, right?" I apologized. The girl nodded, glancing back at the door again.

"Yeah, anyway, I have to go. I just snuck out of detention so... yeah, bye bye. See you Monday!" Miko called as she ran to the truck that was parked on the curb. As she hopped in, she shouted back to me.

"Your name is Amy, right?" she said. I nodded, calling back as she shut the door.

"Yeah" I called. The truck sped off, leaving me alone again. I grabbed my backpack, unzipping it and shuffling around before I withdrew a battered old spiral notebook. I opened it to the back page, where I had written a list and annotated it in case anyone somehow got a hold of it. The page was labeled 'Things I can do because of my negligent parents.' Remember how I took a lot of extra classes? Yeah.