Bedtime with daddy

After milk and cookies with Gina, and after she got to formally get to know her grandson, Brandon and Jai went outside to the backyard to resume their tour.

"Wow, what's that?" Brandon pointed up into the highest oak tree in the backyard, staring in wonder at the wooden structure anchored in its limbs.

"That's my tree house." Then, remembering all the fun times he'd had there as a child, decided to add, "Your mom and I used to play there all the time when we were kids."

"Really?" Brandon's head was tipped back so far it looked like he would fall backwards any second. "Can we play up there now?"

Jai Brooks! What latent strain of insanity caused you to think it would be a good idea to let my son climb a rickety, old wooden ladder over 15 feet above the ground?

Jai spun around at the sound of Ariana's voice, but there was no one there. Maybe he was going crazy. With her voice still echoing in his mind, he turned back to Brandon, who was watching him with expectation.

"Ummm, that's not a very good idea, buddy. How about we try the tire swing instead? It's really cool."

"Okay!", Brandon replied happily when he saw the large truck tire suspended by three long chains and hanging at the bottom of the large oak.

Hey, look at me. Jai thought to himself with a proud smile. I just made my first good parenting decision and all it took was the fear of what Ariana would do to me if Brandon got hurt.

xxxxxxx

Gina walked briskly to the kitchen door when she heard the quiet knock later that afternoon. She was holding a dishtowel and shifted it to her left hand as she opened the door.

"Ariana? Why did you come to the back door?", she asked as she showed the girl into the kitchen.

"I walked over and this was how I ... well, how I always used to come in your house." Her voice was quiet and subdued and she had a small sheepish smile on her face. She looked around curiously. "Where is he?"

"Jai?" The name slipped out before she realized.

"No", Ariana replied quickly. "Brandon, where's Brandon?"

"Well, they're both in the family room playing Wii. For some crazy reason everyone seems to love my WiiFit. I've hardly had a chance to use it myself."

"May I?", the brunette indicated in the direction of the family room.

"Actually, I thought, maybe, we could talk."

"Actually, I have to get Brandon home for his nap.."

"Please?"

The sincere look in the older woman's eyes convinced her to stay. "Sure."

After fixing them both a warm cup of Chai tea, they sat down at the small breakfast table, a table where Ariana had eaten many a PB&J sandwich when she was younger.

"I just wanted to say that Brandon is a treasure." Ariana smiled at the praise, as any mother would. "You're doing a wonderful job with him."

"Thank you, but he's just naturally good. I haven't really even seen any of those terrible two's that people talk about all the time."

Gina leaned forward conspiratorially. "I'll tell you a little secret, Ari, the books are wrong; the terrible two's don't actually start until they're about three. Sorry."

"Oh... well, I'll just figure it out when it happens", she replied with a confidence that came from not having lived through the experience yet.

Gina let out a hearty laugh as she shook her head. "Oh honey. I sincerely hope you do." She gave her a sweet smile and put her hand on Ariana's, leaning in to whisper. "If he's anything like Jai, he's going to refuse to put his pull ups on and run around naked."