61 | End of the Beginning

Start from the beginning

The gambler saw where my eyes were drawn to. "That boy is trouble," he said.

I nodded. Luke was dramatic, energetic, charismatic, sarcastic - all the ic's - and I had the biggest crush on him.

"But he needs a girl like you. If I'd been that lucky, my life would've taken a very different turn."

Almost as if Luke could hear us, he turned towards me. His blue eyes melted mine, in the way they always have. He and Chris exchanged a one arm hug and then Luke came towards us, limping slightly.

"I don't like you kid," the gambler announced as Luke approached us, "Because you remind me of me."

"You remind me of my bad bets," Luke answered, "But thank you for getting involved tonight. I'm sure you did it for her, more than for me but thanks."

"You bet I didn't do it for you, but you should be proud of yourself kid. You were unarmed and outnumbered, and you took those guys on."

Luke didn't take compliments easily, and he put the attention back on me, "Can you take Minnie home? I don't want her to stay up at the hospital with us. They're going to call our parents and she doesn't need that kind of trouble."

Luke wasn't looking at me since he knew how I would react.

I immediately disagreed, "No, I want to-"

"I'm with the boy on this one," the gambler said, and told us both, "I'll leave you two to say your goodbyes and then I'll take you home Millie."

He left without waiting for us to respond. He spoke to his men and stood by his motorbike.

I stared angrily at Luke, "I want to come with you."

"I know, and I don't want to be away from you," he answered, taking my hand, "I want to stand by your side but not if you have to stand in my mess."

I reluctantly accepted his argument and moved on to a question that had been on my mind since he walked up to us, "Luke, what did you say to Chris?"

Truthfully, I had been surprised to find Chris fighting alongside Luke. They were supposedly rivals.

"I told him that, after tonight, I have his back. He had mine."

They were on opposite teams on court, but maybe not off court anymore. Both hyper competitive and facing similar challenges in the same sport; it could be the start of a strong friendship.

**

My junior year had begun with a bang. Maybe this year wouldn't turn out so badly after all.

My relationship with my mother was on the mend, now that I returned her necklace. Flora was still dealing with her breakup by asking me if Luke could invite her out everywhere.

What else?

Mr Dawson still regarded me with distrust whenever he saw me.

I still had no clue who was writing the mystery letters to blackmail me.

I was back on the mathlete team, enjoying my after-school work shifts at Lola Rae.

And my previously broken heart was full again. More full than I thought possible.

As for Julia, I cancelled my subscription to her issues.

**

I parked my beat-up car outside Austin's house. He was spending the weekend in bed, after being released from the hospital.

I held a bouquet of flowers in my hand. I'd picked them out of Mrs Dawson's backyard for him. I knew she wouldn't be pleased with me, but what's new?