The Drakes

(Missy's POV)

I'm sitting on the floor next to the couch in our apartment and Roman is pacing in the hall that leads to the kitchen. I glance up to him from my phone and give him a sympathetic smile.

"Roman, it'll be fine," I promised. It was a promise I shouldn't make, but my brother needed to hear it.

"No, no it won't," I stopped his pacing and looked at me. Worry was flooding his eyes, "His parents are going to be so nice and then ours are going to look like complete asses," he stressed.

"In their defense, they are complete asses," I shrugged.

They are. I grew up watching them be disappointed in Roman for everything he loves. He likes theater, they don't. He struggled in school and that was unacceptable. He was supposed to have girlfriends and girlfriends only, it didn't matter that he likes both. Now, he has a soulmate, and his soulmate is a guy. I was raised by the line "Make us proud," with a silent "because your big brother didn't,". For the most part I was able to fit their standards. I do genuinely love volleyball and I am straight and school came easy to me, but I like theater and LGBT+ people are just as beautiful and valid as anyone else; Roman was just the only one of us brave enough to stand up for himself. I still felt terrible whenever our parents would make pointed jokes about Roman's sexuality and make fun of how much he likes Disney and theater. All I ever seemed to have the guts to do was look at him and pray he saw the apology on my face. They even dismissed how quickly I go through guys as it being me coping with losing my soulmate. I mean, it holds some truth to it, but if it was Roman who didn't have a soulmate and he was the one sleeping with guys every other weekend, they'd kick him out of the house. I moved out as soon as soon as I got a job and could help Roman with the rent. I was seventeen and don't regret it. I get to spend more time with my brother and I get to blast showtunes without our parents whining about it.

"Virgil's gonna hate me," he covered his face with his hands.

"No he won't, stupid," I mocked him, "That boy loves you, he's not going to hate you because of our parents. He's smart enough to know that whatever shade gets thrown at him gets thrown at you too and he can't blame you for that," Roman peeked at me through his fingers.

"It's just not how I imagined our parents meeting my soulmate," he whimpered. My heart went out to my big brother. This has always been his main goal in life. Being on broadway was always a dream, but to him fulfilling dreams without someone who loves him by his side was pointless. I remember when he found out about soulmates when we were kids. He ran around the park and 'played tag' with every kid he came across to see if his gem would start glowing.

"I know, but it's really our parents loss," I attempted to make him feel better. Roman nodded sadly.

"You're still coming with, right?" he looked at me.

"Yeah, of course Roman," No way I was letting him gave our parents alone.  In the past I was pretty useless, but tonight I swear if they say anything I'll let them have it.  I'm tired of our parents pushing us around, "Could I maybe bring my own date? So I'm not third wheeling?" I asked in the sweetest voice I could pull.

"Yeah I guess," he sighed, "At least you don't have to worry about your date being scarred by our parents. He probably won't be around for a second family reunion," Roman added.

"Hey!" I pulled a pillow off the couch and threw it at my brother, "I take offense to that!" I teased.

"Sorry," Roman smiled weakly, "It just slipped, but you can't say I'm wrong. Your longest relationship was what? Two weeks?"

"Excuse me, it was two and a half weeks," I held a hand to my chest for dramatic affect. Roman rolled his eyes, "I thought he was the one for sure," I sighed, "But now my longest relationship is ongoing," I added. Roman arched an eyebrow.