Light At The End Of The Tunnel

(Virgil's POV)

It's been three weeks since Patton was admitted into the hospital. On three occasions in the first week doctors had to rush in and stabilize him, but there hadn't been any other incidents since then. The worst had been when fluid had rushed into Patton's lungs and sent him into shock. From there it got worse and Patton had flatlined. After that Patton's parents and Logan stopped going home. Logan went to work every morning, got dinner at the apartment and cleaned himself up on his way back to the hospital, spent the night, and repeat. Roman and I visit whenever we can.

I'm on my way to visit now. It's late because I just got off of work, and I'm hoping I can convince Logan to come home for the night. It's been two weeks since anything has happened with Patton and doctors say he's looking like he's on the upswing.

I got to the hospital and made my way to Patton's room. When I got there I knocked lightly on the door frame and peeked inside. Mr. and Mrs. Ambers weren't in the room. Patton looked the same as always. He had gotten some color back into him, but he was still connected to machines. Logan was already asleep in the chair next to Patton's bed.

"How about our boys, huh Virgil?" I jumped at the voice behind me and turned to see that it was Sarah looking on at the scene before us, "Sorry dear, I didn't mean to scare you," she said softly. "I don't get to see my son nearly as often as I'd like, but if he's still the son I know,  then I'd say he's crazy about his library boy. He hasn't told me much about Logan, but whenever he'd look at his phone his eyes would light up just like they did with his first middle school crush. And sometimes a mother just knows," she stopped and looked at me, "and from what I've seen in the last few weeks, is it wrong to assume Logan feels the same way?" she asked.

"No, you've got it right," I sighed. "They actually just admitted it the day that Patton got hurt. Not to each other yet, but Logan told me and Patton told Roman," I explained, "Since the beginning Roman and I have been trying to get those two together, and just when we finally got close... this happened, and everything fell apart. Logan's had a rough childhood, which isn't my story to tell, but he needed someone to break through to him and show him that the world isn't always going to turn its back on you. Patton was that person, and then this happened."

"It's not over, Patton'll pull though," Sarah said.

"I know, but that's not what Logan will see. He'll see another one of the people he loves getting hurt."

"That's awful," Sarah said sadly. I nodded in agreement and we stood in silence for a while.

"Mrs. Ambers?" a voice from behind us said. We both turned around to see a nurse in lavender scrubs, her brown hair pulled up in a high pony tail.

"Yes?" Sarah responded

"The latest tests on your son have come in and we've determined he's now stable enough to preform surgery and wake him up," she whispered.

"Really?" Sarah gasped. The nurse nodded and smiled. Sarah's eyes shined with tears and she pulled the nurse into a hug.

"Does tomorrow work?" the nurse guessed.

"Yes, of course!" Sarah exclaimed, nodding her head rigorously. Logan had woken up with all the commotion and was looking at us sleepily and confused.

"What? What happened?" He asked tiredly. His gaze shifted to Patton as if to make sure nothing happened to him. Sarah rushed over to him and pulled him up into hug.

"We're gonna get him back!" Sarah cried; Logan froze.

"What?" he said shakily.

"We're gonna get him back!" she exclaimed again. Logan looked at Patton and then looked at me. I nodded and smiled. He looked back at Patton and then squeezed his eyes shut and hugged Sarah back. I let them have a moment and then stepped forward.