Prologue

[Yeji POV]

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you ~
happy birthday my Yeji ~
happy birthday to you!!
Make a wish sweetie!" Mum exclaimed joyfully.

It's a heartwarming feeling, having a chance to celebrate my 18th birthday with the woman that took the best care of me since I was a wee little kid. Despite all of her nagging, I still have a feeling of joy and happiness whenever I'm with her. I love my Mum so much, I hope she knows it.

"I wish, that my Mum will continue to stay young like this forever." I wished. "And that I'll find my soulmate soon too, so that I can take good care of him or her ~" I wished for that silently in my heart.

Mum clapped. "Yay!! Quick! Blow out your candles baby!"

Haha, Mum seems more excited for me to reach adulthood than I am. It must have been hard on Mum having to take care of me all these years. It must be a relief for her to see me growing up and able to take care of myself now.

Dad has been working overseas and never really had time to visit us. He calls once in a while, but that's really not enough.

Mum misses him so much and hopes that he would be able to touchdown back here in Jeonju to visit us. I guess it'll be a while before we see him again. We do Facetime from time to time, but honestly, that makes us miss him even more.

Ding Dong

"Hm? Who could be visiting this late at night?" Mum glanced at the clock before walking towards the door. Before she could reach the handle, the door swung open and there he was.

"D-Dad?!"

[Lia POV]

Hmph. What's the point of having a pretty face when all people do is laugh at me and tease me? What's the point of having good grades and people still constantly look down on me and call me names like "Nerd" and "Bookworm"? What's the point of-

"Hey, watch it, Nerd! Have you been studying too hard that you can't think properly?" A voice shouted that was so loud, you could probably hear it from the other side of the locker room.

"Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry!" I quickly apologized as I realized i had knocked into someone.

I backed away and continued looking at the ground as I tried to run away. I couldn't bear to look at anyone in the eyes.

College is hard. Everything is hard. Why am I even here? Why do I even try? Tears formed in my eyes as I made my way out the door.

"Going home to cry to your mama, nerd? Ha! I bet your mama wouldn't even pity you, seeing your state! Hahaha!" The bully just wouldn't stop tormenting me, would he?

Ugh, I wish I was stronger. I wish I wasn't this small and helpless...would I ever find that one person that could take care of me?

I walked along the sidewalk with my hands in my pockets. Before I knew it, I was at a park. The park. The park where I spent my childhood, not having to care about anything at all, with my Mum, Dad and big brother.

"That's strange, it's so empty. It wasn't like this before? Oh well, peace and quiet for me, I guess."

I walked towards the swing and sat on it. I continued looking at the ground, swinging back and forth and kicking the sand in frustration. It was so quiet in the park that all i could hear were the cicadas and of course, the squeakings from the swing and the sand been kicked around.

I sat like this for a while...until I realized, the night has fallen. I got off the swing and made my way home. It's going to be another rough day tomorrow. I'm not prepared for it.

[A/N]
Here's a brand new story that might seem similar to "Like A Fool" but I promise it won't be the same. Ryujin, Chaeryeong and Yuna will come soon later in the chapters. I'll be updating every Sunday so do keep a lookout for the updates!
-J 🦅