Six

"James. James, come on hun, you're gonna be late for school," I heard a voice speak softly in my ear awhile later, as the brightness filled my eyes before I could even open them. It was hard to open them at first, as I shut them immediately after opening, and I began to stretch awake. I was being shoved slightly, someone trying to wake me up the next morning, and I looked up and realized it was my mom, still in her housecoat from the night before. I was in the living room, lying on the couch. I was stunned for a moment, catching me off guard that I wasn't in my room like usual, as a different scenery was around me. I didn't even realize I fell asleep the night before, as I only guessed I must have fallen asleep after speaking to my mom for awhile, sitting up in front of the TV. I wasn't so sure if my mother had fallen asleep too, and perhaps she was just waking up now as well.

"Now hurry up and get ready. You overslept. I'll make you some breakfast real quick, you just go upstairs and get ready. I completely forgot that you're walking to school now," my mother said as she shoved me slightly one last time, before heading out of the living room and towards the kitchen, only the next room over. Usually I would be panicking and freaking out that I'd be late for school, but for some reason today I wasn't overly concerned.

  Taking my time, I stretched myself awake further, squeezing my eyes shut and adjusting to the light, before I slowly began to get up. Dragging my feet along, I headed out of the room and towards the stairs, and made my first right as I made it to my room.

  Skipping the Tylenol today, I didn't need the pain killers this time around. If anything I needed a type of pill to give me a kick of energy, while I just felt sluggish today. Moping around in my room after I closed my door, I grabbed some clothes hanging in the closet, threw them on before fixing my hair a bit, and heading out my door. I just felt mentally exhausted on this day, drained in a way, for some reason I didn't understand. Half my memory was in a fog from the day before, as if I couldn't remember a thing, or maybe I just didn't want myself to remember. But I didn't try to dwell on it, I just went along with my morning.

  Grabbing my bag and heading down the stairs, I didn't bother looking at the clock this morning, I just didn't care about the time or if I would be late for school. The sun was rather high in the sky this morning, which gave me some indication that it was later than eight o'clock, when I usually left for school. But what surprised me more was that it was actually sunny for once, instead of the constant gloom and cloudy skies we had been getting for the past few weeks. But yet again, in our town, the weather liked to start out sunny and bright, and then turn dark and dull throughout the day.

  A plate of food was already out sitting for me, while my mom and dad were both sitting around the table, still with their pj's on. I wish I could have just stayed home on this day as well, but at the same time I didn't want to be stuck with my parents all day. There was a reason for that, although for some reason on this particular day, my mind wasn't working, and I couldn't remember the reason for that or remember what happened the day before. Usually when I woke up, I had a split second of peace, when my mind was completely blank, and I didn't have a feeling, thought, care in the world. Although my memories would soon flood my brain seconds later, and that peace would be destroyed. However, it was different today. I still had that somewhat peaceful sensation, I didn't remember a thing that had happened in the past few weeks or months, like my mind had been completely erased and wiped away. It was nice.

  Taking a few bites out of my breakfast, I sat down with my parents, and they were the ones who gave me odd looks suddenly this time.

  "Hey buddy, aren't you gonna be late? Shouldn't you be heading off?" my dad said first after he looked over at my mom, who was sipping her coffee at the time. I only shrugged, shutting my mouth in between bites of my food. That was the only response I gave them, as I stared back down at the plate, and began to sweep my dark hair out of my face as my longer bangs began to hang in my eyes.