Satine Kryze: Losing Side

The world was telling her she failed. 

Her daughter still being gone told her she failed. 

Korkie, sweet sweet Korkie, snapping at her told her she failed.

Guilt told her she failed.

She told herself she failed.  

Satine Kryze, Duchess of Failure. 

Sitting on the bench in the park, Satine looked at the plants and people with tears in her eyes. She watched a mother smile lovingly at her daughter as the girl smiled brightly at a bird. The girl flapped her arms, pretending to be a bird. The mother laughed. Satine put her head in her hands, biting back a sob. What had she done?

First, she had a child. Of all the selfish things to do, it was that. She loved Obi-Wan, yes. But this child? It was her fault. She was the one that brought the girl into the world. The one that tossed her into the universe like, here you go! Time to try not to die!

Second, she neglected that child. The child that loved her more than words could describe. The girl that didn't give up, that wrote her mother thousands of letters. The one that loved Satine even though her mother had given her away. 

Third, she lost her daughter. She'd had Elodie then. In that moment. That one moment. And that other moment. Then her daughter was gone. Gone for good. She'd had so many chances to get Elodie back. Satine could have just waltzed up and taken Elodie. But she didn't.

Which leads to fourth. In her frantic search for her daughter and doing all her other duties, she neglected Korkie. Korkie, the child she had here and now. Korkie, who also loved her more than words. Korkie, who used to let her hold him when he was upset. Now, he snapped at her. He wouldn't let her touch him. He was as distant and cold as she was. 

Fifth, she failed

Fail, fail fail.

She'd chosen the losing side. 

Now Satine had to pay the price. 

But wait. She could save her daughter. 

She had contacts, right? Jedi contacts.

Satine could call Obi-Wan and he could find their daughter and bring her home. 

But Obi-Wan didn't know about their daughter. 

What would he do if he did? 

Torn apart, Satine left the garden, returning to her apartment. She sat down at the table to do papers. Hours later, Satine was lost in paperwork. 

And a sea of failures she couldn't fix.