Chapter 19

Jack

"I. . . I don't understand," I stutter, trying to gasp what I had just seen. Elsa cowers behind me after catching a glimpse and gasps softly. I pull her into me for a second before letting go and stepping out the door, finding four other dead bodies.

And a note written in a red smear on the ground.

"It's only just begun." it reads and I shiver. Pitch was here and Elsa and I were completely oblivious to the fact that he brutally murdered everyone out here. I feel my heart pounding and turn to see her still frozen with horror, watching Felix. Before she can see the death threat written in blood I sweep it away with a shield of ice and walk towards her.

"We need to get out of here." I tell her before dragging her out the door.

***

"Why are we at school, again?" Elsa complains. The horrifying events from yesterday were enough to keep us home for weeks, but as Link would say:

'If you can't suck it up and play things off, you'll get caught.'

He told me that before he dumped us on the streets and dropped us from this case in which we've been horribly threatened. Now I'm hesitant to even talk to someone because Pitch could target them.

"We have to carry on or else people will know." I tell her as we pass through kids in the hallways that glance at us as we walk by. Not only were we crowned homecoming king and queen, my visible arms are also covered in scratches from practice fighting with Elsa but you can imagine what people are thinking.

"I know but I just want to be alone." she mutters a and I stop her.

"Don't think like that. Loneliness is never a good thing." I hate when she talks like this. I hate it when she goes into these waves of depression

She nods and we continue on to the lunch table, sitting with our friends who never seem to get enough of us.

"Looking great today, Elsa." Flynn says and I flash him a look quickly before toning it down a bit. He's just being nice- he's not flirting, right?

"Thank you." Elsa cracks a smile and I feel my nerves soothed for a moment by it.

"Jack, what happened to your arms?" Hiccup asks, giving an amused grin to Elsa and then everyone else.

"No, it's not- we didn't-" Elsa struggles to awkwardly make up an excuse to rid them of what they were thinking.

"I fell out of a tree." Immediately after I say it I regret it. Why the frost would I be in a tree? And fall out of it?

They all burst into laughter, including Elsa and I, then start a new conversation. I don't know how easy it'll be to constantly make up lies about our lives but it's the only option.

As they talk, my mind wanders back to the bloody note on the ground. Elsa doesn't know about it and I'm not about to tell her and worry her even more. It was targeted for me, I know it.

'It's only just begun.'

I frown and bite my lip, unintentionally allowing my real emotions to break through the surface. Elsa notices and I quickly turn my head away from her so she doesn't think much of it but that leads to something worse. I look out the window and see the dark figure I've grown to hate so much. Why is he here? He beckons me out and I make up an excuse to leave the table before following Pitch outside.

I swing the door open and stalk towards the back of the building where Pitch had retreated to.

"What do you want?" I hiss.

"How are you doing, Frost?" he tilts his head and speaks with a sharp sarcasm as if to mock me.

"Don't." I say. "Just tell me why you're here."

"What? Do I need a reason to see my future companion?"

"I'll never work for you." I tell him boldly and he smirks.

"Won't you? Because I've been thinking up a plan." He says, his eyes flicking between me and the hazy background behind me. He laces his fingers together.

"Please enlighten me with your plan." I say and he chuckles.

"I take Elsa captive and use her as leverage to get you to work for me. We both know you're more powerful than her and I can carry out more tasks with you."

"You wouldn't." I breathe.

"I would. You don't know me, Frost. You don't know what I'm capable of."

"And you don't know what I'm capable of, Pitch. Don't think that I'm weaker than you because I've been alive centuries less than you. I'm capable of things you can't imagine." I boldly chide at him, unintentionally radiating a harsh coldness.

"Was that a threat?" he scoffs.

"It's a warning." I grunt before turning and stalking back to the lunchroom.