Chapter 52

It's been two days since we've arrived here and she's still unconscious. They transferred us back to America, so we now sit in a hospital just down the street from the MPA building and my apartment; but I haven't left her side for more than five minutes.

I literally haven't gotten any sleep at all. I'm too afraid that she'll wake up and I won't be here for her. I haven't eaten, and I only drink what Link forces me to when he comes. I'm falling apart without her.

They tell me that they're not sure if she'll live or not yet. All I get is half smiles of reassurance/half smiles of condolences when I ask.

"Jack?" I hear her voice. I practically jump out of my skin, diving to her side and holding her hand in mine.

"Elsa," I gasp. "darling, you're awake."

"What happened?" She asks me confusedly, exhaustion thick in her voice. She lifts the blanket from her and looks down at the bandage securing her stomach. Her eyes widen.

"You were. . ."

"Stabbed." she finishes. "I remember now." Her eyes found mine and that beautiful smile formed on her lips. That smile I missed so much. "You rescued me."

"I was a little late in doing so, though. But I did tell you I'd always catch you, didn't I?" I smile and she returns it again.

Link walks through the door, conversing with the doctor that follows close behind.

"Link," She happily speaks, but I can tell something is bothering her. She still looks in pain. I realize I can't be entirely relieved until they dismiss her from this place. Something could still go wrong.

"You're awake." he observes with a hint of gladness. "So, you were stabbed twice? Shoulder and stomach?" He chuckles to her, leaning against the foot of the bed.

"It would have been three times if it weren't for Max." I add.

"Yes, I heard of his heroic actions." Link solemnly nods. "He will be remembered honorably."

"Elsa, I'm Doctor Leskov. For the past couple of days that you've been here-"

"Wait," she interjects, her pale eyes wide. "you're Russian?"

"I am, dear." He nods with a faint smile. His accent made it quite clear and his name did as well.

"Can I ask you a question?" She says and he nods again. "What does krasavitsa mean?"

"It's a term of endearment. Something one would say to a loved one." I see her face fall and she seems to be deep in thought for a long moment.

The doctor moves on, explaining the current issues with her health and such but I find it difficult to focus on him. I just can't get enough of her conscious self.

***

I look at the clock: 3 AM and I still can't find sleep. I'm collapsed in the chair next to Elsa's hospital bed and she's sound asleep. I really should be doing the same but the thought of her waking again and needing something keeps me alert.

Suddenly she jerks, heaving uncontrollably and the monitor beside her beeping alarmingly loud and fast. I bolt upright and try to speak to her but a group of doctors are pushing me out the door. "No, I need to be with her," I defend breathlessly as I'm shoved out the door. I stand in the complete silence of the dormant hallway, wide eyed and awestruck, before desperately peering through the window. I watch as they struggle to help her for what feels like hours.

Until the steady pulse-beeping on the monitor falls flat.