Chapter Seven - Expected Failures

*Xavier's POV*

It had been a little over a week since I first started at Waverly High and it was only now that the paparazzi showed up.

They were surprisingly much slower than usual.

But either way, Mom's plan failed to keep the spotlight away from me because it always found a way back to me.

I recognized a few of the paparazzi's cars. Unlike when I had attended the private school back in California, Waverly High didn't offer the same gated fence around the school grounds. Which meant that people, like the reporters, could come and go.

I could see the flashes of their cameras from street, as I was just pulling into the parking lot. I had to drive carefully and slowly so that I didn't run anyone over. I could hear them calling my name from the inside of my car.

"Xavier! Can you explain why you are attending the public school system of Minnesota?"

"Are you going to stay here for the rest of the year?"

There were more questions, but like usual, they all seemed to jumble together like an incoherent string of words. As much as I appreciated the attention, the paparazzi took matters to the extreme.

They had so many questions and they never seemed to leave. Well, they do leave, but I'm usually impatient and it feels like forever.

I smoothly slide out of the car and try to budge my way to the entrance of the school. Unlike last time, I didn't have an escort that ordered the crowd to part a path.

I flashed a smile every once in a while for some lucky photographer. Although an interview might be better for them, a photo would do just fine. Especially when I am short on time.

I was grateful to have brought my sunglasses otherwise I'd have been blinded by all of the flashes. And some people wonder why I always seem to be wearing them.

Their loud, incessant jabbering must've reached the inside of the school because I could see someone hustle out of the school from the corner of my eye. It was the principal, Mr. Johnson.

"Hey!" he called for their attention. A few turned their heads toward him. "Excuse me, this is a very important message for all of you reporters."

The last part seemed to catch their attention. Once Mr. Johnson saw that he had their focus, he gave them a little speech.

"This is an educational institute, and while public, it does not need any more distractions or hassling. The students and faculty would appreciate focusing in a quiet setting. I'm going to have to ask you to escort yourselves of school property," Mr. Johnson demanded.

I could see the energy drop out of the reporters, as did their shoulders. A few of them grumbled and reluctantly left while some stayed a little longer to take one last picture of me.

I took the chance to enter the building and headed to my first class.

My seat was crowded with fans, who had waited for me, but the bell rang so they disappointedly went to their own desks. Only Kenna looked content because my seat was next to hers.

I smoothly slid into my seat, watching as Mr. Adams handed back the tests that we took yesterday. The one that I know I bombed because it all looked like a foreign language to me.

Sin number, cos number, tan number. It was all gibberish to me.

Mr. Adams walked my way, and my heart pounded in dread. Luckily, the test he was handing back was for Kenna.