p r o l o u g e

Lies are a funny thing. You either confess and be open with everything, or you continue to lie and hope for the best. I just so happen to do a little bit of both. Tell enough lie to make it believable, but add in the right amount of truth to make it not look suspicious. I have no problem with lying really, it's one of those things that come natural. However, lying doesn't always benefit me as much as I'd like it to. There's always some sort of  loose end that is left over.

"Sammy, I'm back! You would not believe how long the line was at the store. It's okay though, it was worth it since I got something special for you," Rachel's voice rang out from the living room of our apartment. She ran out for errands hours ago, saying she needed "lady things" but I knew she was really trying to surprise me with a special dinner. I gave out a sigh and left the bedroom, plastering on a smile when I saw her face.

Rachel Giovanni was a beautiful girl. Brown locks, doe eyes, a killer body, and a nice enough personality. She just so happened to be the daughter of one of the most dangerous mafia bosses in Italy. A man who could have me killed with one lift of a finger. He was a very unforgiving man if you did anything to him or his daughter. Did I mention Rachel's my fiancé?

"Sorry it took so long, I wanted to make sure I got everything I needed," Rachel wrapped her arms around my neck, my hands naturally going to her hips.

"It's fine, just glad your back," She smiles before placing a kiss on my lips. I stand there, looking at her face as her eyes close. She kisses me a lot. Like a lot. It was fun while it lasted, but I'm over it now. My face is blank as she backs away, her eyes still closed as if she were savoring the moment. My smile pops back up when she opens her eyes, her giggles fill the apartment.

"Come on, let's go enjoy the view before we go see my dad. I bought wine," Rachel grabs the bottle from the bag rushes to our balcony that had a city view. I gave her a small nod and follow her out. The next hour consisted of her talking my ear off and me nodding and occasionally saying 'yes' or 'I agree'. The girl could talk for years and she wouldn't be tired. But it was finally time to see her dad. It was time for all of this to be over.

When we got to the gated mansion, multiple guards stood with weapons in their hands. I was glad this would be over soon and I'd never have to see any of people again. We were escorted to the backyard of the mansion where Mister Giovanni sat at a stone table, shuffling cards. He was quietly smoking a cigar that was hanging off his lips, a cup of warm coffee next to him. He turned around as a guard motioned towards us. An instant smile grew on his face when his daughter came into his line of sight.

"Mia bella! My beautiful girl, how are you?" Giovanni's eyes crinkled on the sides as his grin grew wider. His arms wrapped around his daughter as she chuckled. I sighed inwardly, counting down the minutes until this was over.

"I'm fine, papa. How are you though? You've been taking your meds right?" She let go of him and leaned back, concern was the only thing you can see in her eyes.

"You don't need to worry about your old man, tiger, just worry about my future son-in-law getting his ass handed to him in golf," Giovanni's loving smile turned playful and cocky as he turned to me. I gave him the same smile I give to his daughter, his hand gripping mine tightly.

"Oh sir, I think you're underestimating my amazing skills in any sport ever. If I were you I'd worry about breaking a hip."

His deep laugh belted out, him pulling me to his chest for a bear hug, patting me on the back. I quietly grunted in annoyance as his hand hit my back harder than necessary. It was a common thing between us though. When he first met me he thought I was using his daughter for money, leading him to intimidate me in any way possible. When he saw that I wasn't backing down and I treated his daughter like a princess, he cooled down with the alpha male persona but still had his moments.