Chapter 4

“Oh my god” I said with pure Panic      

The next few moments were a complete blur; I don’t even remember what happened properly. I jumped out the seat barely taking my seatbelt off and leaving the door swung open. I ran over to the front door where my mum and dad were stood, both watching the lady wearing a too-tight suit take away Lucy.

My little sister.

“LUCY” I screamed as she put her first leg into the black shiny car. At the sound of my voice her head snapped upwards to me. I could see her tear stained cheeks and red puffy eyes. My heart broke in less than a second.

She ran to me. She ran to me at such speed, obviously not caring about this lady who I guessed was the social worker. She wrapped her small arms around my waist but I lifted her up, into a full embrace, clutching her and never wanting to let go. I was so caught up in the moment that I didn’t notice the lady was stood closely beside me. I kept my eyes squeezed shut, trying to block the reality of what was happening out for good.

“Come on Lucy, you have to come now” She spoke up

I opened my eyes and glared at her, She raised an eyebrow at me which angered me.

“She’s not going anywhere.” I said sternly, I plonked Lucy down as my arms ached but still kept my arm firmly around her. I could see out of the corner of my eye that 5 boys were stood at the end of my drive, watching. But I couldn’t care about that now. The taxi was still there.

“I’m afraid she has to” she simply replied, like it was no big deal that she was taking my little sister away from me.

I glanced back to my parents who were stood there, my mother with her arms crossed, with a hint of worry on her face but making no effort to do anything. And the pathetic man stood next to her who was casually smoking a cigarette like nothing was happening. When in fact his own seven year old daughter was being taken away to go live in some grotty care home.

My anger rose even more. I shot deathly glares at them

“This is your entire fault” I spat at them.

I couldn’t carry on because a familiar voice cut me off

“DEE!” Lucy screamed, I quickly shot my head back around to see Lucy in the arms of the social worker, being carried to the car.

I gasped as a wave of panic swept over me, I ran to the car, but Lucy was already being buckled in,

“NO” I shouted as the lady slammed the door, shutting me off from my sister. It felt like she had slammed a car door shut on my heart.

“PLEASE”, I cried as the opened the door to the driver’s seat, I could feel tears spilling down my cheeks and my voice wavering. She turned to me, giving me a pitiful look,

“I’m sorry” she sighed. But before I could register what she had said, she was in the car and starting the engine. The car roared to life.

I looked at Lucy, she had a hand on the glass and her shoulders shaking as she was crying. I knew there was nothing I could do now, so I did what I always do when we say goodbye to each other, even when I’m just going shopping.

I kissed my open hand and blew it at her. She grabbed the air above her and pulled it to her heart as if she was receiving the kiss. She did the same to me and just as I caught it, the car started to drive away. I put the kiss on my heart and kept my hand there until I could no longer see the car. I slowly broke down, my whole body crashing to the floor. My eyes were constantly streaming and I was letting large sobs out, feeling unable to breathe.