Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

Athena and I were supposedly ‘attached at the hip.’ Signifying we were inseparable. That’s how other angels described us when we were little, inseparable. We only had each other to depend on; for our parent’s are nonexistent—we don’t know of them—and we didn’t have much choice but to depend on each other. It’s just the two of us, and some other angels we were friends with. 

My heart is empty now that she’s gone. She was my other half. She my twin that made me whole, and without her, I’m half a person. I’m never going to be whole, I’ll just be a puzzle that’s missing the last piece. 

“Axel,” I heard a voice say interrupting my depressing trance. 

Chief was standing behind me, holding a marble pillar. He must be fixing up the main pillar again. It had gotten destroyed when the Dark Angel attacked the Realm. I guess Chief is still grieving too. Chief must need distraction just as much as I do. He had lost his family when the angel attacked.

“Yes, sir?” I said looking at him. 

 “Do you want to help rebuild the pillar?” He asked me, and I looked down. I do need some kind of distraction, I can’t mope around for another four years. 

“Yes, I’ll help” I said picking up a small piece of marble. 

“Axel, you okay, you looked way too wiped out” Chief asked moving his long bangs away from his eyes.

“Yes, sir, I’m fine” I mumbled looking away. “It’s just...I can’t help but think you lost your family because of me” I said beginning to tear up. 

I couldn’t stop that Dark Angel from doing anything. I just thought it was going to rain, how stupid am I! I could’ve saved my sister from getting her wings ripped off. I could’ve saved Chief’s family that he loved so dearly. It’s all my fault that they aren’t here! It’s because I  was too weak fight back. That stupid Dark Angel just tossed me around like a rag doll; toying with me, and I didn’t do anything about it. 

“It’s not your fault Axel, he was strong,” Chief said putting his hands on my shoulders. “I feel that I should’ve watched more carefully. If she didn’t open the gate, then the Dark Angel never would’ve made it through.” 

Chief was referring to his daughter that was about five when the angel attacked. She must have opened the gate for him—being so young and not understanding the rules—and we were attacked because of it.

But it wasn’t her fault that, it happened; she didn’t know any better, she was just a child. She didn’t know any better than to open the door for her elders—she was taught to obey her elders—but I think someone should've taught not to open things she shouldn’t be touching. 

“Don’t let it bother you Axel, he got to the Almighty first and destroyed all our connections. If he hadn’t have done that then this place would still be thriving” Chief said trying to reassure me. 

A picture of the Dark Angel flashed into my mind. His sinister smile taunting me, while holding Athena’s lifeless body; all the anger and despair he brought to me rose to the surface of my mind. I clenched my fists, feeling my nails digging into my skin hard enough to draw blood. 

My big hazel eyes stared at Chief’s deep green eyes. “It’s been four years Chief, four years of moping around not being able to do anything.” I stated biting my lip, trying to keep calm. “I want to kill him Chief, he hurt us...so badly” I said, angry tears beginning to flow from my eyes

“Oh Axel, I know” He said ruffling my hair. “But you know you can’t hold grudges. I understand you’re hurt, but there’s no use in getting revenge on him. You can’t do it, it wouldn’t make you any better than him.” Chief reasoned and I bit my lip harder causing it to bleed. 

I couldn’t help the anger that was boiling in me. The fact that Chief is trying to talk me out of killing him. He knows I’m much stronger than I was then, guarantee I could take him now if I wanted to. That Dark Angel has to pay for his mistakes, he’s not getting away with everything that he’s done. 

“Axel, you need to let go of this grudge. Just because the Almighty isn’t with us doesn’t mean you can act out.” Chief scolded. 

“Chief, listen to me. I lost Athena, the only thing I had in my life. My parents don’t exist, they never did! It was just me and her, our whole lives! You don’t understand that I lost her and I’ll never get her back, and it’s all his fault!” I spat turning away from him.  

“I’m sorry Axel,” Chief said, his voice softening. “I know losing her was hard on you, believe me I get that, but you can’t—” 

“I don’t want to hear it!” I shouted running away, tears stinging my cheeks. 

I don’t care what he says. I want my revenge against that stupid Dark Angel. Chief isn’t going to stop me just because he knows it’s wrong. And I already know Chief is just as desperate as I am. He wants revenge for the Dark Angel taking away his family. I know he does...