L

Kate bought a year before Will threw away his life. A year to convince him that his life was worth more than an ill-defined quest for truth.

But each day that they didn't speak was another step closer to his death. Without a true purpose, Will was losing himself to his pain and hatred of the Sacred State. Kate knew it was happening, but couldn't stop it.

Why didn't he value what they had?

She wasn't much better. She started meeting with Arthur. It never went more than a tea and a chat. She suspected the meeting was mandated by George Morris to keep apprised of Will. She suspected Will knew, and that was why he disappeared during those days.

She also suspected that Will would prefer she fucked Arthur than give his father any information about their lives.

"Still working hard?" Arthur asked as she scribbled absently into a notebook.

Kate almost smiled at the concern in his tone. "I've worked hard all my life. This isn't new."

"But they barely pay you anything," Arthur objected. "You and Will can't even afford to get your own place."

"We will soon," Kate said. "Will's working again. Sort of. We'll manage."

"I wish you'd reconsider the job," Arthur said.

Kate fell silent, staring at a well-dressed woman bringing her daughter into the establishment. When they were seated, she turned her attention back to her companion. "I can't, Arthur. Will... he would be furious."

"He shouldn't be," Arthur insisted. "If a man can't provide for his wife, he has no right to decide what job she takes."

"That's quite progressive of you," Kate joked. "But I'll be fine. What about you? Is it still hard working for your father-in-law?"

She always tried to steer the conversation away from Will. As they had become closer, Arthur confessed to Kate his frustration with working for George Morris. It should have been more of a partnership, but George Morris would constantly secondguess many of Arthur's choices. Arthur insisted they lost a chance on two good deals because George wasn't willing to let Arthur take a risk.

"Always," Arthur acknowledged. "Although it could be worse. At least this keeps my family's legacy alive."

But Kate wasn't sure it was worth the cost of Arthur's independence.

She only wished that she hadn't met him on that day. It was her third wedding anniversary. But she refused to feel guilty that night. She made sure she got home early, brought special food, and Matthew even left.

And Will never showed up.

Not until three in the morning when she was already in bed. Part of her hoped he would wake up with a kiss. An apology.

Anything.

He said nothing that night. Nothing the next morning. A few days later, she finally reminded him.

Will blinked. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"I thought you'd remember."

She didn't know what she expected—certainly not the shame that crept over his face. "Ever since... they had me, I have trouble keeping track of time," he said very quietly.

Now it was Kate's turn to feel shame. Except... except she could smell alcohol on Will that night. And he never missed his assignments for Ginny McIntyre. There was a part of her that was afraid Will was lying to her. Using his own problems as an excuse. And she hated herself for thinking that way.

But he was around less and less. In a small, selfish way, it felt worse than his imprisonment. He wasn't choosing to be away from her at that time.

Kate went back to her dreary work, all the while worrying about Will. She kept noticing a pattern in stories that she edited. Retaliation in their neighborhood. Businesses that had assisted to Umbra or Jon Knight were raided. It seemed to settle into a semi-regularity.