XLV

Brother Nicolas extended his hand and Will realized he was going to give him a blessing. It was well-mannered for a guest priest to give a blessing, whether wanted or not.

Will tried not to flinch when Brother Nicolas said a quick prayer and summoned a little orb of light. He released the orb over Will's head and it dispersed into golden sparkles, raining down on him. For a moment, the bewitching intoxication of the Eternal Light overwhelmed Will. He hadn't felt the ecstasy of the Eternal Light since leaving the sanctuary, although it had only brought pain to him in his last days in the sanctuary.

Because that was better than the alternative.

When Hotaru had helped him, the pain had been so acute that it dwarfed any good feeling. But this felt like sweet drops of bliss. Better than a drink.

Better than laudanum.

Only when a few stray sparks hit Will's leg did the pain flare up. He clenched his fist and looked up at Brother Nicolas, certain the bastard knew his leg was burnt. With his skill, he probably could have avoided hitting Will's knee. He did it just to see what would happen.

The priest moved on to giving the blessing to Kate. She offered no protest, just bowed her head and accepted the blessing. Once the charade was finished, they all sat at the table. Will was relieved that his wheelchair meant he was only sitting next to Kate. Hayashi was seated beside Kate and Brother Nicolas was on the other side. But Will didn't like Nicolas sitting next to his sister.

The dinner started out innocuous enough. Will's father and Hayashi discussed plans for illuminating areas that could be used for mining and resources. Brother Nicolas would occasionally give his opinion on what it would take to illuminate those areas.

"It would provide a livelihood for Hikari refugees who are still struggling," Hayashi said. "What is your opinion, Mrs. Morris?"

Kate set down her glass. "I think jobs are important," she agreed. "But I believe many refugees hesitate to relocate to recently Illuminated areas. The Dark is usually quite potent in the area and there is a constant fear that any little incident could send it crashing down on them."

Will was proud of Kate for telling the truth, but she was skirting the fact that most refugees adamantly opposed to being relocated to rid them from safe illuminated areas. There was pressure to get rid of them because of jobs and worries that they would bring the Dark. like it was feared they did to the Hikari Region. And these new opportunities were often dolled up slavery.

Warren took a drink of his wine. "But a lot of them live right next to the Dark anyway, right?" he asked. "How could this be worse?"

Kate didn't smack Will's idiotic brother. She just smiled. "It's different, Even in the Edges, there is the knowledge there are many, many sanctuaries near. Newly illuminated areas only ever have a few sanctuaries."

"Those sanctuaries should be enough, if belief is pure enough," Brother Nicolas said.

"Forgive me, Brother, but when are any of us ever pure enough?" Kate said.

"True enough," Brother Nicolas said. "Even the priesthood falls short of Eternal purity. It's an Eternal fight."

"Isn't it, though?" Will said acidly.

George Morris smoothly redirected the conversation towards construction and recruiting of guards. Will listened to the conversation but watched Brother Nicolas. He had removed his mask to eat. Will was finally looking at the monster's face. He was... remarkably ordinary. Dark skin, a bit of stubble, and a scar beneath his left eye. The sort of person Will wouldn't have looked twice at on the streets.

Everything Is Eternal (Book Two)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara