Two · · · Mell (.3)

When Mell walked out of Ophryn's room she let the guards shut the door behind her. Thankfully, her parents and General Fin were gone, so she ran to the railing. Mell leaned against the rail, breathing heavily. Her stomach tightened and twisted. Everything that Ophryn said was now becoming a reality.

When Mell had first heard Ophryn's story, her mind never really processed it. It was like the information went in one ear and came out the other. Part of her felt like crying and giving up. Just kill me now, Mell thought.

The rain fell on Mell's face though there was a porch ceiling over her head. It felt good, refreshing even, and she didn't care if it ruined her clothes. The rain was almost over anyway. She could see the storm's lightning in the distance with the hazy yellow sun coming up behind it.

One of the soldiers behind her stepped forward and bowed. "Do you want me to get your parents?"

Mell shook her head. "No thank you. I will tell them next time I see them. Maybe at breakfast."

The guard bowed again before he returned to his post. "Yes, your Majesty."

Mell stood in that spot for a few minutes longer as she stared at the sunrise. She finally left when the rain stopped and picked up the back of her dress so it wouldn't get wet from the damp wood or somehow happen to get wood splinters stuck in its silky fabric.

When she was in her room, Mell sat on her bed. Her hands were shaking. She needed to leave. She wanted to leave. Mell knew the cabin wasn't safe anymore and she knew that the Pent knew where the cabin was. They were planning on kidnapping her for a ritual to become immortal. It was weird, but it wasn't the weirdest thing Mell had heard. Being the princess and heir to the throne, which meant that she had to listen to the citizen's problems and act accordingly. Since this was an everyday thing, Mell was pretty well-rounded.

Mell found a light pink sweater made of potu cotton, the softest material in Mistar grown on the planet Malonda and rumored in Opa. She put on the sweater with her skin-tight, aca vine and constant metal fabric pants. Mell took off her sandals and put on her boots lined with the skin and fur of a wolfa.

She pulled her hair back into two braids and then into a ponytail. She still wore her tiara around her head and decorated it with pink feathers to match her sweater. Mell stepped out of her room to see the zumo flyers gone, their familiar constant metal had disappeared.

The sun was now in the middle of the sky and she turned her head to see if she could spot Ophryn in his room. She saw him with one glance. Mell watched him pull clothes out of his dresser and turned away when he took his shirt off. She walked down the porch, her hand trailing along the rail.

All Mell could see was Ophryn's face. His sad eyes, but full of emotion and the color of Casta's pines. Odd for a Pent, since their eyes were usually a smokey gray or a deep blue and sometimes even black, which were only rumors.

Mell could also picture his freckles. The dark spots on his light skin. Dark brown, almost black, like a Castan. It wasn't normal for a Pent to have such dark freckles but it was almost like a Castan having light brown skin due to blood relations with the Pent. So it sounded normal to Mell for a Pent to have a Castan's eyes and freckles.

Mell found herself behind the rooms of the cabin, under a grove of aca trees, where a table full of sun berries, from the planet Tries, and Pezda's grown food such as brans beans and faunlin leaves. There were also plates of tapees, the meat of a deer-like a creature with tougher meat than a cow and had horns on the side of its mouth laced in constant metal.

Somehow, constant metal grew in and on tapees. If someone looked closely you could see the shiny silver on the tips of a tapees hair. From zons away, someone could see the tapees silver horns.