-+~•~+-

"Thank you," I said to the servant as he handed me the final book for the prince. He nodded with a smile and popped his neck before walking back down the aisle and out the grand doors. Every shelf was made of rich hickory, and the books were in perfect order, not one thing out of order. The dark corners were lit up by torches and crystal chandeliers that hung from the ceiling and gave off a beautiful light. Because there were so many books, there was a balcony like area that strung on the wall that if you took the stairs that were tucked into a corner, you could go up to them.

All of the fictional books were on that level. With my hands full with Prince Levi's books and dinner, I walked out of the library, and down the hallway. As I approached, I noticed the other two servants. The short one kept her gaze staring at the wall, and the other tried to not look at me.

I let out a small sigh of disappointment and opened the door with my foot. I had all three books on my head while his dinner was in my right palm, and not to mention the water pitched in my left. The door swung open, and he looked up to stare at me in bewilderment.

I swiftly walked over to his desk and set down his dinner, not even close to dropping a book, and started to pour the water from the pitcher into the cup. While I did that, I looked away from the water and started to take the books off my head. I listened to the sound of the water and when the sound of splashing got to a certain frequency, I pulled the pitcher away just as I set all three books on his desk."Your highness." I said with a bow.

He stared at me as if I was a man dressed in a maids uniform before waving his hand in dismissal. I nodded and started to walk out. "Wait." He said, and I turned around. "Where did you learn to do that?" He asked, and I smiled sheepishly. "Mr Smith" I replied with a quiet voice."How come none of the other maids can do that?" He asked, clearly bored with whatever he was originally doing, so he resorted to asking me questions."I suppose I'm just a fast learner, that and I suppose he helped raise me " I said, with a soft smile, as I grew slightly more comfortable.

" I thought you said your mother was deceased." He added. I nodded. "She is, but after she died, I was put in mu uncles care but he had a 'slight' drinking problem so Mr Smith took me in." I concluded, and he stared at me as if studying me and my reaction."Why do you seem like you don't care?" He asked, breaking the silence that had engulfed us.

"Why do you ask so many questions?" The words flew out of my mouth before I even knew my lips parted, and I gasped and clamped a hand over my mouth, my face going red. He shot up, nearly knocking over his chair."What did you say?" He asked in a low growl. My legs suddenly went crazy and whipped my body around before propelling towards the door. I was in the hallway before I knew it, and had bolted to my room, not looking back.

-+~•~+-

"So why am I not allowed in my room again?" I asked the guard. "Because as a personal maid of the royal family, you've been appointed to a more spacious room." He said in a dull voice as I messed with the cuff of my sleeve on my wrist. I sighed and he stopped, nearly making me bang into his back. "We've arrived." He said as he dropped my small bag of belongings, and the dog whimpered from inside. "What was that?" He asked as he whipped his head in all directions.

"Oh! Uh, that was m-me! I sneezed!" I said in a frantic rush, trying but failing to imitate the inhuman sound the dog had made. He raised an eyebrow before nodding and walking away. "If you should encounter any problems, please alert me or another guard." He said with a polite bow, and he left.

I frowned and looked at the door in front of me. Instead of being underground in the basement dorms like before, I was on the second floor. I slowly opened the door, and I was met with a very neat room that almost made my jaw completely fall off.

There was a full bed tucked into the far right corner of the room, a desk on the left wall, a connecting bathroom, a window above the bed that overlooked the back gardens and the never-ending horizon, a bookshelf right next to the desk, and a small chandelier in the centre of the ceiling.

This is my room. Holly Maria! Praise freckled Jesus!

I smiled and unzipped the bag. The pup jumped out and we both simultaneously jumped on the bed and laid on it on our backs, just staring at the ceiling. A smile sat on my face but faded as I remembered the events of yesterday. I'm gonna get kicked out for sure. There's no denying that. Welp, it was nice while it lasted. I didn't even bother unpacking my stuff, knowing that if I did, I'd just have to stuff it all in the stupid bag again as I got kicked out.

I only sighed and moved the hair from out my eyes. I rested my forearm on my eyes before closing them, legitimately done with the world. Before I knew it, I was asleep.

-+~•~+-

Three sharp knocks woke me up, and I slowly sat up as I rubbed my eyes to help wake me up. Somehow the little fella managed to stay asleep, and I got up before opening the door. "Good morning. Prince Levi has requests your presence immediately." The guard said, his tone never wavering.

I felt my eyes go wide and my grip on the door handle tightened. I looked at the sleeping lump of fur and turned towards the guard before nodding.

If I don't come back, don't eat my food.

-+~•~+-

The prince and I just stared at each other as the guard clicked the door shut. I fumbled with my hands as we watched each other, waiting for the other to move. "Well, it seems awkwardness tends to follow you everywhere you go." He said, finally breaking the heavy silence.

I felt my face turn red and I looked down. He chuckled a dark chuckle and I looked up. "You intrigue me." He simply stated, and I tilted my head.

Me? But why though?

"It's because you're... different?" He said, almost unsure of it himself.

Maria, I hope so.

Wait can he read my thoughts?!

"Your reactions aren't necessarily one that a normal person would react with, so you've caught my attention."

Great. The one thing I never wanted to do.

"So I've decided not to knock you down to a normal servant again." He said, and the weight on my chest dispersed, leaving me with relief. "In fact, I'd like you to be my personal servant. By that, I mean you do things that specifically involve my needs." He said and my knees felt weak. "B-But your highness, I fail to see why I've been promoted." I said, my arms trembling."Because I'm bored, and you're entertaining." He said, and my eyes widened. "Huh?" I asked, and he shook his head.

"Just take the position or don't, I really don't care." He said, and I shook my head rapidly. "N-No! I'd love to!" I amended, and he nodded. "Thought so. You start tomorrow." He said and shooed me out of the room as always. I bowed and ran away as fast as I could, my breathing sharp and heavy as I slammed my bedroom door shut, trying to calm my racing heart and sweaty features.

The dog ran up to me in concern, and I drew in a large breath as he neared. "There you are, boy," I said and dropped to my knees. He licked my hand as it neared the side of his face, and I sighed before looking out the window. It was a pretty blue sky, but there were dark clouds in the distance, getting closer with each passing minute, bringing rain and storms with it.

Why me?

——————————————————