Chapter 32: Karwa Chauth 2019

Nandini placed her earrings aligned on her dressing table.

Nandini: Inn do mahinon me kitna kuch ho gaya na, Manik? Harshad ko jail bhej diya, Kanika ko trace karke, usse phaansi ki sazaa ho gayi, and finally, all of us changed our fields, except Mukti. Alya went into fashion designing, Dhruv went into dance choreography, Navya and Cabir remained as RJs, you began studying business from Amity, and I'm doing medical. Sab ka music choot gaya hai...

Manik: Nandini, we couldn't have our lives revolving around music. It's important for us to earn... I need to help Dad with the business, Alya, Cabir, Navya, and Dhruv need to satisfy their needs. For how long would we depend on our parents.

Nandini: But Manik...

Manik: Nandini, so jaate hai! Good night!

He grabbed the duvet and covered himself and went off to sleep.

It had changed. Their life changed in these 2 months.

The next morning...
Dhawan House...

Cabir:Good morning ladies!

Ipshita and Navya: Good morning Cabir!

Cabir: Toh aaj nashte mein kya banaa hai?

Ipshita: Tumhaare favorite, Aloo ke Paranthe.

Someone: Aloo ke Paranthe khaa khaa ke koi mota ho gaya hai.

Ipshita: Aashi, apne chhote bhai ko mota mat kaho.

Cabir: Exactly! And di, do you realize that you're in front of my cool mom and amazing girlfriend.

Navya: Shut your mouth while eating Mr. Dhawan!

Ipshita and Aashika: Oooh!

Thakkar House...

Mukti: Good morning Manyu!

She engulfed her hands around his neck.

Abhi: Good morning Shona!

He pulled her closer. And a tall, handsome, young boy came out of his bedroom, yawning.

Arya: Good morning Manyu ki Shona and Shona ka Manyu! Aah... Leftover pizza! Bhabs, my breakfast's done.

He picked up the Dominos pizza box and went into his room.

Abhi: Ussne toh apne naashte ka intezaam kar liya hai... Bhook lagi hai.

Mukti: Breakfast's ready. Your favorite...Chhole Puri.

Malhotra Mansion...

Nyonika: Aaj tumhaara pehla Karwa Chauth hai, doll. Kitni badi ho gayi meri little doll.

Nandini smiled vaguely.

Nyonika: Kya hua?

Manik: I'm getting late... First lecture was at 7 am.. It's already 7:15. Bye mom!

Nyonika: Ma-... Nandini?

Nandini: Meine FAB 5 waali baat chhed di, kal raat.

Nyonika sat on the sofa, sighing.

Nyonika: Mujhe bataana hi nahi chahiye thha.. Kahan khush thhe tum log, aur yeh sach..

Nandini: Maa, yeh sach bataana zaroori thha.

Nyonika: Tumne usse bataa diya hai na? Ajayega na woh raat tak?

Nandini was silent.

Nyonika: Nandu... Tum bhooki reh jaaogi.

Marine Drive...

Alya: Dhruv!

Dhruv: Alya...

Alya: Tum toh humesha Manik ko hi defend karoge na? Pehle, because he was your best friend and now, because he's your brother-in-law.

Dhruv: Shut up, Alya! Kitni baar bolunga? I LOVE YOU.. and I will always support you. But, this time you're  wrong! Our parents were rivals, not us! And whom are you believing? Kanika? She's a goddamm criminal!

Alya broke down.

Alya: Then why? Manik ne aisa kyun kiya? FAB 5 ko kyun toda?

Dhruv went and engulfed Alya in a emotional hug. They kissed for 10 minutes.

Alya: Tumne mera vrat khulwaa diya... I just ate you!

She smiled.

Dhruv: Tumne mere liye vrat rakkha hai?

Alya: Shaam ko aa jaane phir se khulwaane.

She smiled and went off.

That night, Malhotra Mansion...

Nyonika: Nandini, it's 10 pm. Manik hasn't reached yet.

Nandini: Let's wait.

They waited and waited and waited until Manik came. It was about 12 in the night and Nandini was very weak. He barged into the house.

Nyonika: Manik!

Manik: Mom, aap abhi tak soye kyun nahi.

Nyonika: Manik, aaj ki date kya thhi?

Manik: Aaj 17th October hai... Oh shit! Nandini!

He ran to her and grabbed her softly.

Manik: I'm so sorry, Nandini.

Nandini: (weakly) Tum mujhse itne naraaz thhe Manik, ki tum mera vrat khulwaane bhi nahi aaye.

Manik's eyes got wet.

Manik: Nandini, I love you jaan, I can't see you like this.

Nandini got the chhani, with the diya inside and turned it towards the large, yellow moon. She took the puja water and poured a little bit down the balcony, then she turned to Manik and saw his smiling and lovable face from the sieve. She lowered the sieve and bent to seek his blessings. He refrained her from doing that and hugged her. He made her, then, drink water and eat a bite of a motichoor laddoo. They ate dinner, which was the Karwa Chauth special, Daal Motth and Rice.

In their bedroom...

Nandini: Manii, I'm sorry... Mujhe uss baare mein baat hi nahi karna chahiye thha.

Manik:Jaan, I understand.

The dozed off.