Traurig Aber Schön

Chapter 3

Traurig Aber Schön

Sad But Beautiful

Third-Person Narrator

Richtofen walked on past the dressing room, with his KN-44 cocked and loaded.

"Miss Zelma!? Vhere have you gone?"

"Damn it, German! Wait for me!" Nikolai panted and breathed heavily.

"Valk faster, Nikolai. Ve need to find Miss Zelma before it is too late!"

As they walked through the double doors to the stage, the silence was broken by a soft sobbing voice.

"Zhere she is, Nikolai! Zhis vay..."

As they both walked cautiously towards the center stage turret, they saw Zelma, crouching with her knees to her chest and her face hidden in her knees.

"Poor, sweet girl...." Nikolai lowered his Argus. "She looks so sad, Richtofen..."

"Traurig Aber Schön (sad, but beautiful)..." Richtofen shook his head in disbelief. "Stay here, Nikolai. I vill have a vord vith Miss Zelma."

"Whatever you say, German..."

Zelma was alone in her thoughts, trying to process what she had said to her own sister. She only said it out of anger. But her sister was right. She wasn't processing her emotions or the fact that she lost her father and husband. Her father was always the one to carry everyone and everyone's burdens on his shoulders. But now, it all fell on her shoulders. Her father taught her to be tough and how to fight.

I'm sorry, Rosie...I'm so sorry...You're right about me. I can't deal with this like I've been doing. But daddy's gone...and you're all I have left. I'm sorry that I left you, Daddy...you told me to go. You and Axel both told us to go. But we could've been there to help. We should have been there. We would've died together. But I know why you gave your life for us. Because Mom knows that it'll get better. Maybe not right away, but there will be light at the end of the tunnel....You're in a better place now, daddy. You're with mommy now. Now, you're both watching over us....

Zelma's thoughts were interrupted when she heard the soft sound of boots approaching her. She lifted up her head quickly.

"Oh, it's just you..."

The German remained silent as he sat next to her. "Are jou okay, Miss Zelma?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, Dr. Richtofen. I just needed to be alone."

Richtofen turned his head to look at her. "Zhat was very dangerous."

"I know, doc."

Richtofen turned his head to look at her. "Miss Zelma, vhat are jou zhinking?"

"I just can't believe that they're gone...those undead monsters took mein liebe (my love) away from me. They took mein Vater (my father) away from us. My sister is all I have left. The burden my father carried now falls to me...."

"I am sorry for jour loss, Miss Zelma....I understand zhe pain jou and jour sister are going zhrough."

"How would you know, doctor?"

"Vhen I was young, I, too, lost my mozher and fazher. I found myself alone at Heidelberg until I met Doctor Maxis. He vas like a fazher to me. He had a daughter, Samantha...."

He then told her about the experiments, Group 935, Samantha controlling the zombies, Element 115, he confided in her about everything. He even told her about the Summoning Key, the Kronorium and the hunt for their younger selves through time and space. He kept it as brief as possible.

"Mein God (my God), doctor. That's horrible."

"Very much so, ja (yes)."

"Why did you come and find me, doctor?" Zelma wiped her tears away from her cheeks and looked into his sapphire, blue eyes.

"I know jou have lost everyzhing you've held dear. I came to help you. To talk about zhis pain jou're feeling. Now that ve are here, ve vill vork together to stop zhe hordes."

"But you don't know me, doc. Or my sister...why would you and your comrades help us so readily?"

"Vhy should it matter? Ve can help you get zhrough zhis. But jou must put zhe past behind jou now. Look forvard to a brighter tomorrow."

Zelma and Richtofen both stood up. Zelma sighed as she glanced at the small family picture she kept with her.

"Jou love zhem very much, don't jou?"

Zelma nodded.

"Zhey are still with jou, in here." He put her hand over heart. "Jou are not alone, Miss Zelma. Dempsey, Takeo, Nikolai and me....Ve are your family now."

"You promise?" She asked.

"Verheißen (promise)..."

Richtofen lifted up her hand with his.

Zelma smiled and, much to her surprise, he smiled back. He reminds me of...mein Axel. Before she started to cry again, Zelma threw her arms around Richtofen and held him tightly. Richtofen overcame his reluctance and held her in his arms lightly.

Suddenly, the sounds of the bloodthirsty zombies broke the hug they shared. Richtofen grabbed his KN and Zelma grabbed her M8A7 and MP40.

"Here zhey come. Are jou veady, Miss Zelma?"

"I'm always ready....Let's go!"

The Night Howlers (Black Ops 3 and 4 fanfic) - PRIMIS CREWOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara