iv

"hey..."

"hey..."

"are you awake?"

"hey!"

a sharp pain on his cheek jolted him to sit up and he looked around in panic, recalling what happened to him before he ended up in what he thinks is the most luxurious place he has ever laid his eyes on.

everything was shining from the bottom to the top.

the floors were made out of polished marbles, a long carpet of red lie on the floor from the big double walnut doors leading to the two big throne seats made out of shining, shimmering gold. the walls were pristine white and had candles on candle holders (which were not lit up) and the massive walls led up to the ceiling where pictures of the told stories of the previous rulers' victories were painted, an enormous chandelier hanging in the middle

from the day the first king stood to rule the falling country of septendecim to the day of the recent king, king pledis, who won the war from their long-time rivaling enemies, the country of antees.

the bright light of noon shined on his face from the gigantic windows in the walls and he finally realized why he was there in the first place.

he remembered waking up in the morning, getting worried for his friend from what happened yesterday and deciding to visit him in their bookshop. then he remembered being in a room, a group of soldiers holding him down and suffocating him to a drug to stop him from moving. the last thing he could recall was his friend, who dropped down on the floor when someone chopped him on his nape with a hand, hard, and then, black.

panic rose to the surface and he was up in no time.

"wonwoo!" he called, looking around the room to search from the swarms of head he was overwhelmed of. too many people, but why can't he find a familiar mop of jet-black hair and stupidly big, round glasses adorning his face?

where was he?

"hyung." he felt a hand on his shoulder. the alarms in his head rang and he grabbed the hand into his own and tried to break it with his knee when he finally heard the one person he was looking for shouting at him in horror.

"hyung! hyung! it's me! it's wonwoo!" he stopped and looked at the person behind him, only to meet him, his eyes wide in panic and his mouth wide open, as if to yell at him again. but everything that he needed to say was left unsaid as seungcheol pulled him in to his embrace, tight in his arms and he couldn't do anything else but to return the affection.

seungcheol buried his face in his neck. "i thought i lost you..." he whispered, his voice shaking and it melted wonwoo's anger away, stroking the other's back in a form of reassurance.

"you almost did when you tried to break my arm." seungcheol chuckled and pulled away.

"sorry, man. you just scared the shit out of me."

they heard a clearing of throat and wonwoo pursed his lips, gesturing for seungcheol to look to their sides with a small smile. when seungcheol looked, he gasped and quickly dropped to kneel down.

"your majesty." he heard a snort to his right and he glanced to his left, where wonwoo was still standing and nudged him to do as he was doing. wonwoo shook his head with a small laugh.

"please, stand." seungcheol scrambled to do as he was told and stood with his hands flat on his sides, intimidated by just standing in front of the highest people in the kingdom, the king and the queen.

wonwoo hit his arm. "you're too stiff, it's funny. stop it." the queen giggled with wonwoo and seungcheol could only gape in shock.

are wonwoo and the queen friends? since when? how come wonwoo never bothered to introduce him to the queen? or even have a small time to just mention about his friendship with the female ruler?