Chapter Twenty Two: Please.

Start from the beginning

I couldn't speak as my eyes fell shut.

"I'll make sure you're okay. I'm getting you home. You're not sleeping over tonight. Get your bag and everything. I just have to make him dinner. It'll take just a half hour. Stay right here, you hear me?" she said, rushing the words out of herself, breathless. I could hear her heart beat faster and faster.

She tried to leave immediately, but I held on to her, head buried in her chest.

"Don't go just yet. Please."

Her arms hesitantly went around me again, chin resting on my head. I breathed into her warmth, never wanting to let go. I felt safe, secure, calm. I wanted so badly for her to feel the same way but she was nowhere near close. And it was killing me inside that this is what she had to live with.

Fear gripped me as my mind wandered over to what might be happening when I'm not there. If she was hurt. If she wasn't telling me. My mind went back to the day she came over at night on my birthday, a black eye and bruises on her shoulders and left temple. She'd told me she'd gotten into a fight, but I wasn't so sure anymore.

"I have to go, Harley," she whispered softly, moving away from me gently. I stared after her as she walked out and shut the door behind her again, but without the loud noise and causative anger.

I sat on the edge of the bed, hands gripping the sheets and trying to calm myself down by taking deep breaths.

She's gonna be fine.

He's just drunk.

Nothing's gonna happen, I'm just being pessimistic.

That's when I heard loud noises coming from downstairs-- like cutlery being smashed and flesh being punched. I heard furniture break. Loud voices could be heard now, yelling, screaming, shouting, arguing. I felt the urge to go down there. Do something, anything. But she told me to stay here. And that's what I was gonna have to do.

That idea lasted for about ten seconds before I got up and moved to the door. The yelling had suddenly ceased. The screams stopped. Footsteps got louder as boot-clad legs made their way upstairs.

I was upstairs. In the only room upstairs.

The door was shoved open and I let out a startled scream, moving backwards, tripping over my own two feet and falling to the ground.

I could hear another pair of footsteps running up the stairs now, urgency evident in the noise. He immediately turned around and shut the door, locking it. A shiver went down my spine.

There was pounding on the door from the outside.

"Let her go! Let her go, you bastard!" I heard Norah yell. But slowly the noise was drowned out as he approached me slowly. One slow step at a time. Like a lion stalking its prey.

His eyes hungrily moved all over me, making me feel filthy, vulnerable. I started crawling back, tears daring to slip.

"Please don't hurt me," I whispered, voice trembling involuntarily.

He gathered me up in his arms and I screamed, kicking and yelling. He threw me onto the bed and got on top of me, pinning my arms to the bed, crushing me underneath him with his weight. His hands moved down to his pants, struggling with the fly. I tried to push him away but failed spectacularly, tears spilling over my face.

He pulled down my pants and underwear and pinned my arms to the bed again. I felt the life go out of me as he let his weight crush me, entering me with great force, the pain making me scream out again.