Bittersweet

"Where do you think you brats are off to?" Ayesha had to shout from the kitchen over the potpourri of noises of the microwave, the washing machine and the water heater. "And what's so special about 11:30?" She had heard the kids scream in Fahim's room followed by loud thuds and bangs of the wardrobes.

"Very urgent Mom," Nasreen half-mumbled as she ran into the kitchen with the two plates in one hand while adjusting her hijab with the other. She had a pin held between her teeth that she would use to fix the headscarf in place. And then it hit her. Screw it, I don't even know where we're going! Sometimes I'm such a bum. She gave her mother a quick kiss on her cheek and sprinted out through the main door and down the stairs to avoid further questioning. She didn't want to wait for the elevator. Stairs are actually faster, especially if you're going down! Nasreen chuckled at the thought as she stormed down towards the garage. Boy, I love driving!

"Wait! I've got something to tell..." Ayesha shook her head. Then she rebuked herself. This is NOT a good time to bring it up! How can you be so selfish Ayesha? She sighed. "But we're always busy..." she murmured. Involuntarily a tear flowed down her cheek. We rarely have time to speak! Oh Allah, give me strength.

"Hey Mom," Fahim's voice boomed through the kitchen as he ran towards her a gave her a hug from behind. "Don't worry, we'll be back by 5. It's way to urgent. I'll text you."

"Okay," Ayesha cleared her throat. "Drive safe." She was surprised at her own curt replies.

Fahim sensed the awkwardness. She didn't turn around. She didn't hug him back. "Mom?" Fahim gently made Ayesha face him. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Ayesha looked down struggling to hold back the tears. Do I look okay?

"Hey," Fahim spoke softly as he touched her chin and lifted her face, "look at me. What's wrong?"

"Oh it's nothing," Ayesha took a few breaths to calm herself down. "I just wanted to tell you guys something that I've been thinking of and..."

"Mom," Fahim grinned, "nothing trumps what a Mom wants from her kids, well you know, other than prayer." He chuckled. "Come with us. Tell us in the car. We'll drop you at your favourite coffee shop and pick you back up when we're done with the meeting..."

 "No, no Fahim," she raised her hands and backed away.

"Mom please don't say no. We can't leave you all upset like this!"

"It's not that simple Fahim." Ayesha forced a smile. "See? I'm alright. Now go! You're getting late."

"You sure Mom?" Fahim was confused.

"Yes dear. Go!"

"Okay then... see ya Mom." Fahim rushed out of the kitchen. "And don't hesitate to call if you feel like it." He shut the door on his way out. But he couldn't shake off the uneasiness he felt. Instinct told him to stay back. But he shrugged and got into the elevator.

Once Fahim was out, Ayesha couldn't hold it back anymore. She ran to Fahim's room and threw herself on his bed. Her body quivered with her every sob. You guys got a very bad Mom! Just then she noticed one of Fahim's T-Shirts carelessly thrown over a chair. It was the one he was wearing at home. Mechanically she picked it up and was about to make her way towards the washing machine when she froze in her tracks. She turned back and came into Nasreen's room. The tears were about to attack again. She opened Nasreen's wardrobe and ran her hand through the neatly stacked layer of hijabs. From a corner she pulled out a tiny baby pink scarf. It was actually Nasreen's first hijab that Ayesha had gifted her on her sixth birthday. She held the T-Shirt and the hijab close to her chest, crumpling them. Oh Allah, I really don't deserve such wonderful kids!