Chapter Five

"What are you doing here?" Penelope demanded to know. The shock of seeing her husband had worn off and now she was mad, more so than ever at him. "You weren't suppose to find me. Ever."

Hades nodded his head slightly, amused at why she was mad. He knew his wife, or had hoped he'd known her better than anyone, but that was before she disappeared with their child for eighteen years. "I see Hermès has gotten involved in this little family matter," was his reply. "I wonder why that is? Perhaps you know, my love..."

She straighten her back. The nerve of him assuming she had involved herself with the thief god. "No," she told him. "I have no clue as to what that little ass is up to, nor do I care. You need to leave, Hades. Now. Before someone comes in."

Hades walked towards her, watching as she backed away from him. When her body hit the counter behind her, he smirked as her eyes went wide. He had her trapped, and she knew it. "I've seen her."

No one needed to tell her who "her" was, Penelope already knew. "How?" she breathed. "When?"

"A few hours ago, Thanatos showed me where you were living," Hades replied. "She looks just like you."

"She has your eyes."

That shocked him, making him falter in his steps towards Penelope. Stopping a few inches in front of her, he stared at her. No one else in his entire family had the color of his eyes. He was the oldest, the first born among all of Rhea's children. She used to tell him she picked his eye color from the ocean on a clear summer day. Zeus's eyes were grey, the color of storm clouds while Poseidon's were the color of a dark sea, green with just hints of blue. Not a single god or goddess had turquoise eyes.

"My eyes.... ?"

Penelope nodded her head. "Yes."

Hades smiled, tucking that little of bit of knowledge into the back of his mind. He would use that later, when it was time. However, until then, he needed to get both of them back to the Underworld. "You need to come back."

"I can't. I'm sorry," she told him. "I have a life here now, as does our daughter."

"Persephone, you don't get it. I'm not asking, I'm telling you," he said as he grabbed her hands. "I need my queen back, before the winter equinox is over. Otherwise, the mortal realm will be stuck in an eternal winter."

Penelope pulled back her hands, moving around him. "What do I care of mortal problems? Makaria will be finishing school soon, she needs me. She's the only thing I care about."

"Has she told you of the visions she's been having?"

Penelope's head whipped up, her grey eyes growing dark. She stared at him. "I still have control over her powers, Hades. She hasn't had an 'episode' in months, not since we moved here."

Hades shook his head. "She's had at least three since you've moved here."

"And how do you know that?"

"Thanatos," he explained. "He's been watching her, protecting her from afar. However, it hasn't been easy because he was given orders to stay away from her."

Penelope sighed, blowing her bangs out from her face. "Hera." Looking to the sky, she frowned. "You can stop meddling, step-mother. My child will be fine." She turned her gaze back to Hades, the frown still on her lips. "Does he know what she is to him?"

"No," Hades replied. "I haven't had the heart to tell him. Besides, I think it would be better if they found out on their own, don't you?"

 Besides, I think it would be better if they found out on their own, don't you?"