His eyes softened, "I didn't mean that thing I said."

"So wear them. That's your favourite shirt as far as I know."

A saw a hint of a genuine smile, but that turned into a smirk before I could even see it properly.

And then he went to the guestroom.

Amidst all of him, I never realized when I forgot about my nightmare. I changed and then retired to bed.

E R I C

She was sitting between mom and dad, with nonna beside dad.

Me and David were sitting at a good distance so we don't hear anything as dad said it will make her uncomfortable.

But from this distance, I can see the same fear in her eyes as in the night, when she became all restless in her  sleep.

Mom hugged her trying to calm her down, and I could see dad became quite worried.
Nonna was also rubbing her back to calm her.

As the help announced, it's time for breakfast, everyone settled around the table..
With Erica still the subject of everyone's concern.

"Erica child I think you should not live in Italy.", Dad said abruptly.
Her eyes lifted and she nodded gently.

What!?

"Dad it was just some drunkard on the road. And I have talked with my friend who's a police superintendent. He said he'll catch that man soon.", I said not understanding why this matter is so big.

Dad looked at me briefly, "Eric..Italy in general is not safe. And Erica will live alone."

His reasoning is absurd.

Why in the world Italy is not safe!?
They themselves live here.

David nudged me a little and then whispered in my ears, "Asshole that's good for you. She'll go back to States."

I looked at him only to find him grinning.
A grin broke on my face too but her soft voice interrupted.

"James...I'll look for a job outside Italy. What about I join the Australian branch!?", My eyes widened at her plan but widened more when dad said, "I'll talk to my head there."

"Nooooo!", It escaped before I could realize.

Everyone looked at me, and of course David was grinning.

I coughed a little choked due to so much attention, "Erica can resume her work at mine."

"Why is that may I know Mr. Ashton!? If my old age is not playing with me, I remember people calling me telling how inadequate, unable, insufficient and inappropriate she is as a PA."

OKAY, I am those 'people'.

Phew!

"Dad I want Erica!", I declared and everyone's eyes widened.

Before I could realize what I said, the bomb was already dropped.

Dad was glaring at me. David was amused. Erica was flushed. And mom and Nonna were giving me some knowing looks.

"...As my PA.", I muttered getting very uncomfortable..

Everyone got busy in the breakfast.
And when it ended, dad stood up, "Eric as much as I want Erica to work with you, it's her choice to say yes or refuse you. When she came back two months ago, she was very sad. And believe me, Erica for me is as precious as you are. If anyone hurts her, I won't spare that person, even if it's you."

The stern look on dad's face said he's serious.
And so I just nodded.

At last it was me, Erica and David left in the portico, when David announced, "Let's go to the beach today!"

Idea seemed pretty good in order to lift Erica's mind. And so we all readily left to get ready.

David jumped in my room, "You go and pick Erica..I'll get a spot reserved for us."

I nodded and taking my car's keys, left.

I was wearing a trunk and a very lose white shirt.
I love surfing, and so my surfboard was with me.

When I knocked on Erica's door, she opened to reveal herself in a long sundress, that covered her neck and hands completely.

I furrowed my eyebrow, "What are you wearing Erica!? We're going to a beach. Won't you go for swimming."

"Don't be so smug sir. There will be many girls in bikini if that's what bothering you.", She shifted and I went in, "And I won't be swimming."

"Of course that's bothering me. It'll be very attention seeking of us, to have a odd one out, walk beside.", I said.

"But I am fine in this.", She whined.

If I didn't know better, I would have not noticed the uncomfortable expression on her face.

I then blurt out, "It's because of your marks. Isn't it!?"