The One With the Locket (6)

As soon as Gerard and I got home yesterday after my therapy session, I got a text from Emerald. Climbing the stairs toward my room, I looked down at my phone screen to read the five words she always asks at about 5:20PM on Thursdays, because she knows that's when I usually get home: How did it go today?

And, yes, I know it's unwise that I was looking at my phone while on the stairs when I can barely maneuver them without a distraction. I guess I just like living on the edge sometimes.

As I reached the top of the stairs I heard Lindsey's voice ring out from the kitchen, "Just letting you know dinner will be ready soon, Eve!"

Before I could even reply, Gee's voice chimed in with a little, "Yay!" The door to his office must've been open.

"Is your name Eve?" Lindsey calls again.

I laugh to myself as she and Gerard keep shouting out at each other through the house, then shut my door which does nothing to drown them out. It doesn't bother me, though. It's all in good fun and they rarely (if ever) fight or argue.

Evelyn: it went well. nothing really out of the ordinary

Emerald: Okay, just checking :)
Emerald: I got you something today.

Evelyn: you what now

Emerald: I got you a gift. I saw it at the mall and I thought you might like it.

Evelyn: emmm christmas just happened, I type quickly then glance over at the large stuffed bear on my bed near my pillow. It's white and has an emerald green bow. I named it Jacques.

Emerald: I know :) I'll give it to you tomorrow at school.

And, well, that was yesterday and now it's tomorrow at school. Em's mom dropped us off about five minutes ago and Em hasn't said a word, which is unlike her. She also hasn't stopped smiling in a way that says she's trying her hardest not to smile and look too excited, but she's failing.

I follow her down the hallway toward her locker, pushing through a crowd of people as we go. I swear, instead of walking on the sides, everyone decides to create a Great Wall of High School Students across the width of the hallway.

If I wasn't so afraid of social interaction I might copy Em in yelling, "Excuse me!" as I go. Too bad the prospect of speaking to most kids my age terrifies me.

I guess you could say teenagers scare the living shit out of me.

Finally, we arrive at the end of the hallway where it's a lot less crowded and quieter. We stop in front of Emerald's locker.

"Sooo," I lean against the blue, paint chipped lockers, not knowing what to say.

"I just wanted to get here where there's less people before giving it to you." Em slings her sparkly, dark blue bag off her shoulders. It's similar to my black one that I still use after all this time. She unzips the small front pocket of her bag and out of it takes a little black box which she hands to me.

"Okay, so this seems shady," I joke as I take it from her. Em giggles. "Don't laugh that wasn't funny."

"Just because I'm laughing doesn't mean you're funny, I just have a terrible sense of humour," she remarks, crossing her arms.

I roll my eyes. "Good to know the only good thing about me has been a lie all along."

"That's not true, but I don't have time to argue with you," Em says, getting anxious as the bell is about to ring and I'm still just holding this box. "So, please, just open it!"