6

Cati.

Young, innocent girl, lived with a lying crowd of protection, was kept from the world, the universe. Yet, she had no idea, but she always felt as though she was kept from who she truly was. What she truly wanted to be.

Sitting quietly on a double bed in an awkward ship, she heard the music, felt it in her chest. It sounded familiar and important, as if she could talk with utter confidence and not be that scared, innocent girl she was before. The one she is now.

“You having fun there?”

Cati flipped around and pulled off the headphones with fear. “I-I’m s-sorry! I-I d-didn't—” Quill waved his hand, then stared at her silently.

“How did— Did Yondu... Take you?” Peter asked, Cati frowned, then nodded. “A-All for the best reasons! I-I was alone, Yondu was... Being silly. T-To be honest, I wondered if it would be better if he hadn't.” She mumbled, getting a bad reaction, just as she expected. Peter seemed to reopen and close his mouth discontinuously. Then looked forward. “Don’t...” He breathed then looked down at Cati's small face. Seeing the pure innocence and confusion. The world felt so big compared to her.

Meanwhile, Peter felt a painful ache in his chest, his stomach twisting at how much she looked like Sarnya. It frightened him, so much that he wanted to cry. “If Yondu hasn't made you want to leave, then I’m sure he doesn't think that way. Yondu does what is best for his crew, for some reason, he... Thought that you were the best thing for motivation maybe? But I guess they all got attached.” He muttered under his breath.

Feeling an unusual shiver drift around her spine, Cati looked behind her for some sort of draught. When she was younger, she used to ask people what that feeling was, but they told her it was impossible due to air. Which, didn't make any sense, what even was air? Was it ... Physical? Harmful? Could you touch it. It was difficult to not think about something that sounded unrealistic. “Mm.”

Cati was unsure about a lot of things at the time, looking up at Quill with a scared look. “Come here.” Peter whispered, watching as the small girl clambered over and onto his lap, then was scooped up into his arms. Peter stood from his spot and began to walk around in small circles. Making Cati giggle, “What are you doing Peter?” She asked curiously, gazing up at his eyes. “Our kind call it dancing.” He smiled, then rubbed her back soothingly, feeling her body tremble despite how she smiled and laughed as though it were alright.

When hearing the word ‘our’, she had swallowed thickly and peered up at him, leaning away. “Peter. I-I... When I was in that jail, they had spoke about my parents, I thought it was because they were lying and that they were really rude men but... They said your name... What does that mean?” Cati asked, playing with his jacket. Peter froze and stood very still. Making the young girl in his hold begin to panic if she had triggered him in some sort of way.

“It doesn't mean anything, they had gotten it wrong. Don't worry about it.” He placed down Cati, looking above her at a wall, then walked out of the room.

(( highlighted responses are displayed as important sentences for future reference. ))