(5) Beyond Finding You

"Wha we gonna do now? Hyde?" Gladys whispered, you could hear her accent slightly slip through. Just slightly.

How do you feel about your Grandma? Does she care so much for you that she makes and sends you lunch money everyday? Does she give the best hugs? Does she give you the best speeches when you ask her for advice?

Or is she the opposite? Is she the type of person who looks at you and frowns? The one who loves your brothers or sisters more than she loves you? The one who always "does something" so you don't bother her?

You could also be like me- a person who has never personally met her grandmother.

You would think I was the type of person to rant about how my life is totally "unfair". Not really. I have had all my life to deal with it. 

That doesn't mean that I didn't ask for stories about her. I have never heard of a such caring soul like my grandma. It may sound ridiculous. You might be thinking,

You never even met her before! How could you make her sound so amazing? I'm done.

But, seriously. As much as I hate that she just left and that left my mom alone with my...dad, I always wished that I would know a little more about her. A perfect family. When will that ever happen?

In a lifetime movie, maybe. Those actors seem to act a story line worse than my life. Or maybe in a Barbie commercial. That's how old my life sounds like.

Anyway, you would never believe the things my grandmother done when she presented herself to the world. She was the type of person who wouldn't hurt anyone, so no one would hurt her. She would only defend herself and wouldn't let anyone walk on her. She would tell jokes to make everyone laugh.

Like me.

We were so similar. The reason I loved these stories was because it was what I wanted to be when I grew up. My grandma was the nicest person anyone could ever meet. Or so said my mother. I always wished I would see my grandparents. My parents are almost never home. If I see them, before I got to school, I'm happy. As sad as it is, I'm used to the loneliness.

"El, this iszn't az surious az we thank it is, righ?"

Blinking, I'm slipped out of my childhood when I hear Gladys. I went and sat on the comfy couch in the living room. I was wondering how I was going to the Hedge and what people would say. Gladys was talking to Aunt L when Ashley decided to start another conversation.

"So, what's up? If it's about the people following us, I'm pretty sure we'll find them together. You have your thinking face on and you haven't eaten."

Or maybe not so right with the conversation thing.

I gave a curt answer of not being hungry and asked Aunt L if the meeting would proceed as expected.

"Honey, sorry, I didn't say 'hi' when you came in." She grabbed me in a hug and kissed me on the cheek."We'll continue with our meeting another time. Sorry for making you come here in such a hurry, Hun."

Oh. But that means...

"It's fine. I was wondering if can I go by the Hedge?" I asked, while crossing my fingers behind my back.

She raises her eyebrows. She smiles at my eagerness to go to home. Most weekends, I just sit at my parent's house and think. Then it's even worse, mondays are just, eh. I need extra candy on mondays. Not my best day.

Definitely not mondays. I always hated mondays. It doesn't even deserved to be capitalized.

When my aunt nodded, my heart was already beating out loud that I thought everyone could hear it. A smile instantly spread on my face.

"I'll be there later. Go with Ashley. She has to help Gladys with something. " Aunt L told me.

I looked at my her and waved toward the ark connecting to the back door. I waved toward it and she nodded. I started jogging toward the Hedge. Home sweet home.

I heard Ashley walk up a couple of steps behind me. I ran ahead anyway and came up to my spot behind my tree. I recited my pledge from the beginning, when I first represented myself. It seems like a long time ago. Three years worth.

"I, Hedge Stephanie, pledge to do my assigned job as a Hedge. I will enter the Hedge in peace and use my skills for good. Whenever I am needed I shall appear. My legend will continue to be written and I will protect my friends from enemies."

During my speech, the air drooped down to a much cooler temperature. The light of the Hedge changed color. It went from bright green to yellow and finally settled for a multiple-colored rainbow, my color. Each Hedge has a color that represents them, except for me and one other person. It was suppose to be my "future other half."

Yeah. Like I would ever get a boyfriend. Let alone a husband. I'm going to turn sixteen in the summer and I haven't even had my first kiss yet.

Yes. Pity me, but that just teaches me to be amazing the way I am and all that.

The beautiful color of my aura couldn't even be described in words. I smiled as bright as the colors in front of me.

I felt someone behind me, and thinking it was Ashley, I said, "I bet you can't catch me."

I made a peace sign to her behind me and jumped into the portal that would transport me to the other side.

All I know is that the mystery person didn't have the purple color that belongs to Ashley. When I got to the other side, I landed on my knees. I looked behind me just to realize I was right.

I hid behind a tree and waited to take a look. I heard footsteps and counted.

One. Two. Three. He passed right by me and I gasped. My eyes went wide and I froze.

"Josh?" I whispered in surprise.

He stopped mid-step and turned to me. He looked at me like a deer caught in headlights."Where am I?"