POVs

( WRITING TIPS!)

' to help you
better understand
the different
points of view '

▂▂▂▂▂▂

There are three main points of view that we should all know by now; first, second and third.

First point of view is when the story is told from the character's perspective and uses words such as I, we, my, mine, us, etc.

Example: I walked down the hall as the dim lights flickered, sending a chill down my spine.

Second point of view is the style used for most imagines and instructions. It addresses the person reading it by using words such as you, you all, etc.

Example: You can sit there and wait for them to arrive.

And then there's third person. For me, this is probably the easiest and funnest to write. Third person is when the author tells the story by using words such as he, him, his, himself, she, her, hers, herself, it, its, itself, they, them, their, theirs, and themselves

Example: The rain began to sprinkle, the cold droplets finding a new home on the brunette's face as she tried to make her escape.

For anyone wondering, sometimes points of view are referred to as 'person' .
ex: second point of view = second person

Picking a POV

For writing a story, your only two options are first person or third person. From what I've noticed, stories that use second person are usually cringey and poorly written (except imagines and stuff like that).

So, which one should you write in?

It's all up to you, just pick which ever POV you think you'll do a better job at writing and go for it.

I, personally, always use third person cause like I said, second POV is cringey and I'm not a really a big fan of first person either. For me, using third POV gives me a larger opportunity to set up the story and do a better job at telling it. In third person, you can describe things, as well as emotions of numerous characters, and even foreshadow things. You can do it using first person too, but I just find third person more flexible and easier to write.

(For those of you who don't know what foreshadowing is: it's when an author leaves little clues as to what might happen next in the story)

Also,

There are two types of third person; omniscient & limited.

Limited is when the author only shares the thoughts and feelings of one (usually the main) character while omniscient shares the thoughts and feelings of ALL characters.

Btw, when I say ALL I don't mean literally all. A lot of times very minor characters' thoughts & feelings won't be told because it's either pointless or it'll ruin/spoil the story.

Description

Some people get confused when describing stuff from certain pov's, can't blame them, I still make stupid little mistakes like using 'we' instead of 'they' every now and then.

For first point, just put yourself in the character's place and describe what you would see.

ex: I could barely see in the unoccupied room, the dim lights were not enough to illuminate the building fully.

For second person, to be honest, I don't really know how to explain this one. Second person is basically like instructions.

ex: You could barely see in the unoccupied room, the dim lights were not enough to illuminate the building fully.

And third for third person you write as if you are outside looking in. I don't know if that made any actual sense, but third person is basically just story telling.

Think of any story you heard as a kid. Three little pigs, snow white, sleeping beauty? All third person. (At least the versions I heard)

ex: She could barely see in the unoccupied room, the dim lights were not enough to illuminate the building fully.

I don't know if this helps, but one of my friends, whose first language isn't English, told me that sometimes she'll just write a story to her best abilities and then go back and change the necessary words (I to she, I waked to she walked, they sat down to we sat down, etc.) so that it'll be correct for which ever point of view she chose/had to write in.