Things Remembered.

September 1942
....
Lucia's POV...
It's been two Years since I last saw Morena . I'm starting to think she's Dead. I made it to New York City. All I could do was kiss the ground it felt like. I never felt more safe when I arrived at the train station in Manhattan. It felt like half of the country's men and young lads were at war. Since mainly it was women and small children riding the train. I stood in silence until I needed to get off at the stop I needed to get off at. The smell of the city and busy streets were a bit overcrowded in my opinion. But I wanted to stay in refuge for a while like the Norwegian Royal family. Which are my cousins. Just distant. Victoria was always fascinated by The Norwegian mountains and fjords as well as it's wildlife up in the northern part of Norway where her parents used to ski. She loved seeing the whales and sea lions in their habitat. She had an interest for photography. Just never was allowed to do it around the public. As I walked around the city with my luggage in hand. I felt like an outsider. But less than a stranger. It was pretty lively. As I took another train to get to my hotel when I noticed something. An elderly man reading a newspaper with Victoria's Face on it. Clearly she had took to the battlefield as her clothes were in rags and her hair was in complete chaos. She was on the front cover. Kissing the same man we met at the tea shop some years ago. I thought to myself "What on earth is she doing on the cover of an American news paper?" secondly?. Why is she half naked?. He's got his hand way up her dress. I thought to myself as the man had noticed I was looking. "You ever seen a Newspaper Woman!" He rudely says. As I turned away and looked out the window and admired the vast city. Keeping my gaze on what's to explore while I'm here for the duration of the war. Staring at the tracks as the train had made it further into the city. Finally, I made it to my destination. I stepped off the train and carried my luggage to the Private flat complex where I would be staying in. At home I would have butlers carrying all of my luggage to my room and opening doors for me. I met a woman in her 40's as I had approached the gate. She opens it and looks around for anybody else. "Can I grab that for you?. " she warmly asked.
I nodded. Of course. I answered. Can you show me to my flat?. I asked.
"Of Course Dear, You're in Tribeca, so there won't be anything for you to worry about for the most part" she said as she unlocked the door to the lavish flat unit and led me inside. " A lot of Royals who's been exiled or fled from Hitler have moved here" she said. As she grabs a set of keys from her office. "Would you like to sit down?, it'll only be a minute. I just have to make sure the Girls are behaving upstairs doing their chores" she said as she places the keys down. Heading down the corridor and walking upstairs.
I noticed she had two gold stars in her window behind her desk. I heard footsteps as she came back and signalled me to follow her. "Right this way Dear. " she said as two girls hid behind the entrance to the stairwell. One looking about nine and the other about eleven or twelve. I waved at them. As they backed away and ran upstairs. Their mother leads me to my flat she hands me my keys as my luggage had placed by the bed. I thanked her and closed the door and got undressed. Lighting a cigarette as I looked around the lavish flat. Opening the palace like curtains viewing the vast city. I went through my luggage and found some cleaner clothes To wear. As I had looked I heard the sound of fine China being shifted. I searched around for what it could be. As I had uncovered a tea set. Realising it was the same set that soldier had bought Victoria on our first day in France. Carefully, I opened it. Tracing my finger around the gold rim. With lavenders painted upon the lovely china set. Hoping she was alive and well. Even though I saw her on the cover of a newspaper an hour ago. I still couldn't really fathom the fact that. Only I had escaped to safety. I haven't heard much news about Infanta. But as for Morena, I still wonder?.
As I placed her tea set by the window and finished unpacking my suitcase. It was odd being by myself in another foreign country in a foreign city known by most. I took refuge here because it was the only "safe" place where royals could take refuge if we couldn't make it to Canada. I wanted to get back home where I would be safer. But the entire world is at war. And most of Europe is bloody chaos. I don't know how I survived the bombings and how I got here alive. Let alone out of France the first time to begin with. I've seen so much blood and carnage without thinking twice of going back because I was afraid. How long am I going to stay in this city. How long is this war going to continue?.