Grandmother's Tale

Mature Victoria's POV.
He was a Handsome Young Man When I met him. His Eyes So Green, His Charm, His Great sense of humour all in one. I thought he was the perfect man for me. Even though the palace didn't like the idea I settled down with a "commoner" I was very much in love with him. And from being locked in a church with He and fellow soldiers of his. I felt like I got to know a different side of him. One that I did not like. It was all an act. Just seventeen I thought I was more grown up and mature around men that were barely the same age as me. If not maybe as young as sixteen years of age. It was like the war itself was full of many children more than adults itself since their parents had mostly been in the Great War and wanted their children to fight in the next. Yet they hoped there wouldn't be a Second World War. So many casualties so much bloodshed and loss. You'd think everyone would've settled for peace back then. But married to a soldier not many years older that myself I saw how it felt to worry and knew how much it hurt to know you might not ever see him again. We got married out of love of course and also fear of not seeing each other again. Since we were in France at the time. Harry and his lads taught me so much. Whether it'd be How to signal when the enemy was near or to shoot them. We got married in a church but not the same one. But an abandoned one in good enough condition not yet to have been destructed by the Germans.

July 1940...
Harry's POV...
It's Been a steady one so far, I still have nightmares from being on the beaches and being shot at these last few days. But from now it's been easy I would say. I get flashbacks here and there from seeing things that I saw over the last few months. Things I never Thought I would see but was too scared to imagine what Happened to my dad and what he went through during the Great War. He told me things that he never thought he'd See or would've thought to have happened to him. He had been blinded by mustard gas and had fell ill to diseases from fighting in the trenches. Other men had lost their toes due to frost bite, rats and all other sorts of things. He told me he wanted me to experience what it was like for him to go through since I remember him hiding in a corner in a shell shocked state when the war broke out. It scared me to seen him like it. And holding my sister with his arm by her throat was a terrifying sight. And when my mum came in the kitchen to calm him. He sat down with me and told me how much he loved me. Which I already knew he did. But at that time I wasn't thinking that I'd be the next of his line to go to war. He'd lost all his brothers in a matter of months due to Being torpedoed or k.i.a. And when he told me " I don't want to see you home Til the end of this war " I thought he meant I was kicked out. Until I received my draft card the next morning. And when I left the morning for boot camp. I remember my mum and sister giving me the biggest hug. And my mum couldn't stop crying which broke me. But I had to be strong for her. Just like I have to be strong for Liv. I'd love for my mum to meet her though?. I'm sure she'd love her. She's a sweet girl, my mum's very fond when it comes to manners and respect. But I just hope the rest of my family likes her as well.
The memories of home I just miss. Like the small things. Such as seeing Gemma's cats running around and chasing each other in the garden. Or Gemma and I pranking each other. And memories of celebrating Christmas and my mum's Sunday dinner. It breaks my heart knowing I won't be able to see any of that for a while. I miss home I miss all of it. Being in this war gets the best of me sometimes and I just want it to be over. So I could see my family and bring Victoria to meet them. I'm sure she'd love it. If only I could write to them I would do that within seconds but for now all I have Is a diary.
Victoria's POV...
Following them around in the group that they were in under the hot sun. Meant that I was more of a target than a threat. In other words I looked more of a lost civilian if anything. I wore my Red dress and a hat to match it since it was the only thing clean that wasn't dried with blood or torn. It was my last and favourite outfit since my favourite colour is red. Along with my father. At times I think about what my family must be going Through since I'm supposed to be in exile with them. I have my mother's worry and my father's wits. Sometimes his anger when I'm under stress. He'd kill me if he found out I had been trapped in a war torn country without any supervision or sort of protection. My mum would've had a heart attack. Even though she might not show it. I just hope they're doing alright since I've been stuck in France for two months now still wondering and unsure of how I will ever get out.  Without the risk of getting myself killed along with the other soldiers in the group. We felt the ground move underneath our feet as it made the loose rubble and weak ruins shake due to the heavy vibrations.