And Endings Can Be Surprising

Start from the beginning

"I'd say that after three hundred years, I have some sort of squatting rights," Berkham snapped back.

"You have no 'rights' here," Sam retorted. "Only my good graces. Which, considering the state of things, are not very high." The icy stares that came from the two males seemed to shoot across the parlor, and collide in the center of the room. Myra could feel a chill run up her spine.

"S-so then what happened?" she asked, trying to break up the animosity in the room.

Noticing her discomfort, Berkham held her closer to him. "Why don't we take this discussion into the yard," he suggested to everyone. "I was out earlier this morning and found the south gardens looking particularly lovely right now."

Myra looked out the French doors behind them. Either all the snow had decided to blow right up against the paned glass, or there was a raging blizzard going on outside. "Um, are you sure we should go out there?" she asked. "It looks kind of cold."

Berkham smiled at her comment. "I am glad to hear that my sister and her friends have not completely exploited you to all forms of magic," he said while leading her to the door.

After picking her up and quickly carrying her through the deep snow, Berkham reached a great walled garden. When they went inside, the plants were abundant and full of life, and the climate was as balmy as an early summer afternoon. He escorted his guests through the garden and invited everyone to sit on the stone benches in a round seating area. When they were seated and comfortable, Berkham continued his tale.

"About forty years ago I received a visit from some very well connected government personnel. Actually, they were looking for you, Sam," he addressed the amethyst eyed demon.

Everyone looked at Sam in bewilderment.

"Did you do something to anger the government as well?" Silversin asked him.

"Not that I am aware."

"I had my suspicions as to why they had come," Berkham said. "All that time alone here led me to discovering more than a few secrets about its former inhabitants."

A small squeak was heard from over by the snapdragons. Everyone turned to see Lilla grinning from ear to ear. The she-elf had always enjoyed learning about others' secrets. "What did you find out?" she asked in a high pitched tone.

Berkham grinned. "Well, Lilla, you of course remember all of those spontaneous, random vacations that Sam would take with Meris and Dru, don't you?"

"Sure," she replied. "I was one of the groupies that followed them. Except, we didn't call them vacations. It was more like tours of superstars."

Nodding in agreement, Berkham said, "Yes, Sam did an excellent job of disguising his true motivations, but the truth is; not all of your fellow groupies were just that, and the trips were anything but random."

Lilla, at some unknown point, had obtained a bag of bite-sized candies. She was now shoving them into her mouth at rapid speed while staring intently at Berkham, completely enthralled by his story. "Go on," she urged.

"I think, that quite enough has been said already," Sam announced while giving Berkham another icy glare.

Finally piecing everything together, Myra could not help but blurt out, "Wow, Sam, are you a secret agent or something?"

Sam did his minuscule eye roll. "No, I am simply loyal to my government, and willing to help protect the honest people they represent."

"I never knew he could be so humble about something," she whispered to Berkham.