And Endings Can Be Surprising

"We're best friends." Myra stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Which, considering their current position, it was.

"I mean, how did you two meet?" asked Silversin. "You know, being as you are a human and all."

Myra sucked in a bit of air. "Oh. Well, we met on campus at the college we attend. Had lunch together every day for almost a year now."

"Reeeally?" Silversin drug out the word, emphasizing her skepticism while pacing around the room a bit, ending up at the twin side-table to the one Sam was leaning against. She strummed her fingers on its surface. "Berkham, I think you have some explaining to do. Starting off with why you have broken your sworn oath, which included never leaving this property until Sam or I came to relieve you of your duty. And while you're talking, why not explain the bandit gang you seem to be heading."

"And why there is a thick layer of dust on everything I own," added Sam, Who was currently staring at the hand he had just lifted off of his table.

Berkham rubbed his eyebrows with his free hand. "I was a practically a child when I made that oath. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I thought that it would impress Sam if he came home to see how well I had taken care of his possessions and land. Everyone knows how much I looked up to these three."

"That's the understatement of the century," Dru mumbled to his red eyed friend.

"His enthusiasm obviously didn't translate into cleanliness," Meris whispered back, while glancing at Sam, who was still staring at his hand.

Berkham continued. "At first it wasn't so bad. I kept myself busy, and invited people over to visit when I needed to socialize. But then, the Zizazu attacks on the nation's western border began to increase dramatically."

"I don't remember hearing anything about that," said Silversin.

"That doesn't surprise me much. Waterhouse village is pretty much a pocket-society, thanks to you."

Silversin blushed slightly. "I'll take that as a compliment, if you don't mind."

"As you wish," he replied. "So, back to my story. Because of the attacks, many western trade routes shut down, causing the economy to falter. The ultimate results of which forced me to fire the entire staff taking care of the estate. On top of that, supplies were low, and all my friends stopped visiting because they were afraid to travel. I was practically alone here for the larger part of a century."

"So you formed a band of robbers, and started taking classes at some random human University, because you were lonely?" Lilla asked. "I think all that time alone did something screwy to your head."

Her statement didn't faze Berkham in the least. "You're probably right, but I actually have some pretty good reasons behind my actions."

"So says the man wearing a belt around his head," Meris stage whispered to Dru.

"Hey, don't mock the crazy man," breathed Dru. "He could be hiding a power boosting third eye under there."

"If he is, it's probably drawn on." They both snickered at Meris's last statement.

Their comments finally annoyed Myra enough that she asked Silversin to construct a silencing barrier around the two teasing demons. Or, in her words, "put a dome of silence over the peanut gallery." Instead of doing as Myra asked, Silversin assured her that a much easier solution would be to mentally block them out, as everyone else had done long before. However, Berkham felt the need to support his dear friend, and offered to kick the offenders out of the house.

This suggestion was followed by a faint growling sound heard from Sam's corner of the room. "You do not have the authority to remove them. Remember, this is still my home."