Why It is Important to Pay Attention

Pleased that Dru was acting somewhat reserved and "normal" at the moment, Myra took his hand and allowed him to help her up. Looking around she could see that the basement looked exactly as she remembered it (or would have remembered, had she not been forced to forget until a few moments before).

Spotting a door at the top of a rickety staircase, Dru and Myra attempted to leave the basement, only to discover that the door was locked. They knocked for a while, and Dru yelled near-profanities directed at "the old hag," attempting to alert her that there was someone trapped in her basement, but there was no response.

Dru scowled. "Sure, they lock it now that someone needs to get out. Why didn't they think of that when they were supposed to be watching you as a child?"

Myra shrugged. "Better late than never, I suppose."

"You are strange," Dru grinned as he shook his head in disbelief. "Personally, I would be a bit more upset at these old hags if their carelessness ultimately resulted in a bloodthirsty pack of Zizazus chasing me into different dimensions."

Dru was leaning with his back against the door, but jumped away when someone started to unlock it. The door opened to show a little old lady that looked exactly like Grandma Rosie, she was even wearing the same clothes.

"Took you long enough," Dru sneered. "What were you doing, rearranging your collection of false teeth or something?"

The woman who looked exactly like Grandma Rosie huffed in return, "Don't start with me, little kit. I just spoke with my sister on the telephone and she told me all about your impudence." She walked past him and grabbed Myra's hands. "Myra sweetie, come in." She pulled her off the stairs and into a small parlor. "I just finished baking cookies. Come and sit a spell."

Myra threw an anxious look at Dru. As much as she would like to visit with her old sitter, she really wanted to see her mom and dad, and her brothers if they were in town.

Dru apparently understood her dismayed look, because he said, "Sorry lady, but I'm sure Myra is really anxious to see her family now, so we'll be going." Before this Grandma Rosie had a chance to object, Dru swept Myra off her feet and rushed out the door, carrying her in his arms.

"You can set me down now," Myra protested as soon as they were out of sight of the house. She noticed that he was taking the most indirect route to her home, and quite successfully avoiding coming into contact with anyone.

"No," he replied hugging her closer to him. "I have no idea how the Zizazu's might be able to track you, so we should avoid you touching anything, unless you have to. But don't worry, we'll be there soon." Myra felt the wind push harder against her as Dru increased his speed.

When they got to her house, Dru gently set Myra on her feet in front of her back door. Suddenly feeling awkward, Myra wasn't sure if she should knock or just go inside. It had been weeks since she had supposedly eloped with Dru. Had her mother been convinced by the letter he left? Was she even welcome at her own home anymore?

Being so absorbed in her own thoughts, Myra did not notice when someone came to the door and looked through the glass that covered the top half. And she barely noticed when that same someone threw open the door. Her senses did however, return to her when she felt a pair of familiar soft arms wrap around her shoulders in a tight hug.

"Myra, you're back!" her mother exclaimed gleefully.

"Hi mom," Myra answered, hugging back. "It's great to see you."

"Come in, come in," Mrs. Gibbons ushered Myra and Dru through the door and into the kitchen. "I'm the only one home at the moment, but I'm sure if I called your father he would come home for lunch to see you."