Appearances can be deceiving, that's something I've learned quickly in my seventeen years of life. And it's definitely something I need to keep in mind going forward, especially when it comes to everyone at Arlin Preparatory.

"Then don't go," I suggest, hoping my tone doesn't come off too demanding. I'd love nothing more than for Jalen to cancel, and spend the rest of the day with me.

Sounds clingy as hell, but he's my boyfriend now, for real this time. I think I have the right to want to see him for more than two hours.

Jalen squeezes my hip, giving me another smile, except this time, it's a sad one. "I have to."

"You have to go?"

"I have to," he repeats, tone sounding defeated.

I shrug. "Okay, then I'll just see you tomorrow in class."

"Bright and early. I'll pick you up," he offers.

I nod my head, agreeing, unable to say more. I don't want my disappointment to come across. I don't want to scare him off.

We move closer to my bike, and just as I step out of Jalen's arms, he's reaching out for me again.

"Hey," he says softly. "Text or call me you get home safely, okay?"

"I will," I assure him. "But you do the same. Let me know when you're safe and sound at home."

He nods, leaning down to kiss me.

"Goodbye," I say when we pull apart.

"Don't say goodbye," Jalen says with a shake of his head.

"Then what am I supposed to say? Ciao? Adios amigo?"

"Well, first of all, don't call me amigo," he states. "Second, just say... I'll see you later, or I'll see you soon. I like that better."

I pretend to think for a moment before saying, "Okay, okay. So, no amigo, how about compadre?"

"How about boyfriend, because I am your boyfriend," he answers with an eye roll.

Damn, I love hearing him say that.

"Damn, does this mean I gotta change your name in my phone?" is my actual response.

"If you don't, I'm breaking up with you."

"Oh wow, okay. I see we can't take a joke over here."

"Nah," he answers with a shake of his head, smile returning to his face. "Not when it comes to this."

I smile back, letting him pull me into his arms once more, sharing another kiss.

"Fair enough," I finally say. "Definitely should not joke around when it comes to this."

Jalen's phone buzzes, and we both glance at it, seeing it's David calling.

Jalen hesitates, before dropping his arm from me and sighing. "I gotta go, Lyndon. But please let me know when you get home."

"I will, I promise," I answer, letting out a laugh at his persistence. "Now go, before your boyfriend gets mad at you."

Jalen throws his head back and cackles at my comment, before regaining his composure and grabbing my hand. "I only care about my girlfriend being mad at me, right now."

"She's fine," I tell him. "She kind of just wants to go take a nap, anyway."

And with that, and a couple more kisses, we part ways, each hopping on our versions of bikes and driving off.